Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soaking some black beans. They are old. How old? I don't know. I had bought some new black beans and then found these at the back of the cabinet and guiltily soaked them instead. As they soak, they are splitting open.
That's not as enticing to me and certainly not as enticing to my little toddlerman.

Should I dump the beans and use the new ones instead? Are they too old to cook up nicely? What is the nutritional difference?

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
They ususally recommend tossing anything that is over a year old, because of nutrient degradation.

Will look for a link.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Found a bit more information-
http://www.ellenskitchen.com/recipebox/beanpeas.html

Quote:
Start with the freshest dried beans you can buy. Good beans are smooth and bright. Old beans show cracked seams, or are dull or wrinkled. The older the bean, the longer the cooking time, and a really ancient bean will never get tender. Store beans cool and dry, not in the damp refrigerator.
Looking for more...

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the useful information! I did toss the beans, which had nearly all lost their black hulls. I think they must have been more than a year old, I definitely bought them before I was working full time and that was what, like, four years ago? Instead I made some red lentil dal, brown rice and curry.

I will soak the brand new black beans tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.