Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick- help! my sister is on the way to the er for her intact son. He screamed that his penis hurt in the night (he's 2 1/2). This morning it looks red and inflammed at the tip all the way to the base. When he began to pee, it sprayed a little wildly, but then it was normal. When he was done he screamed that his penis hurt. UTI? Normal retraction? Should the doctor need to retract for any reason? (he hasn't naturally yet) what could this be?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
no, the dr should not retract. swab outside for culture & if necessary, a catheter can be done <b>without</b> retracting.<br><br>
hth,<br>
sus

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I don't think a UTI would make the actual penis swollen would it? Could be separation, could be an infection, though that's less likely. They should NOT retract. They need to swab the tip to culture it and see if it's an infection and what kind so they know how to treat it. If they do not find any infection, I'd take a wait and see approach and let him soak in the tub and have naked time. If they need to cath, they should do so without retracting.<br><br>
If it IS an infection, make sure she knows it's not a reason to circ, since she might hear that from an uninformed doctor. My daughter has had several vaginal infections in her short 2 1/2 years and antibiotics always took care of it and no one suggested surgery.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Odds are it is separation or an infection. No retraction should be done at all because if it is an infection it will spread. Also retraction can cause more damage.<br><br>
This thread in resources is a must read <a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=764732" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732</a>

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Is it possible someone retracted him? Daycare, babysitter, him exploring himself?<br><br>
If not it's most likely separation. There is a slight chance it's a yeast infection, in which case antibiotics will make matters worse.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
So what was the diagnosis?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for asking, Night Nurse. I should have come back and updated. Sorry. I called her with your comments and my research and she decided to turn around and not go to the er and give it time. Looks like it was normal retraction because it was over in 48 hours!<br><br>
This is all still new to us. My 4 yo hasn't had any separation, but her 2 year old apparently has. And my 9 yo was circd, as were our husbands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts