Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive got breakfast covered pretty well but lunch seems to be tough for me. i always hardly have a sec to eat b/c DD is only 5 months old and still in pain from the intolerance and the reflux...besides shes always overtired b/c she has wicked trouble napping...so ive been trying to make things ahead of time for lunch but find my new diet very limiting...
anyone have any prep ahead or make quick lunch ideas?

so far ive got
pb and j (cant have lunch meat)
salad...
chicken and rice and veggies (prepared ahead)
chicken "fajita" prepared ahead mostly
and thats it...i was doin tuna but now i cant eat mayo so...

btw i lost 3 pounds in 4 days...you dont think my milk will dry up do you? im trying to eat as much as i can but with lack of time and diet choices im finding it very hard...i eat mostly fruit and veggies

thanks

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I'll roast a turkey and then make 36 hour turkey broth (stick the bones in the crockpot with water, garlic, celery, onion) and just let it simmer. Then I'll freeze it in containers. I'll get ground turkey and make a slew of turkey meatballs, and stick them in Ziplocs in the freezer. Then whenever I want, I can make turkey meatball soup with whatever leftover vegetable I have. The bone broth is high in calcium and other minerals. I also have a rice steamer and I always make more than I need so that I can make fried rice, or stick the rice in my broth. We also do a lot of leftovers.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll second the PP's ideas. When I was going through this, I would roast a whole or a half of an organic, minimally processed turkey on the weekend. Then, slice it up for sandwhiches, salads, soups, etc. I made after you pick most of the meat off it, boil it for bone broth. I also made turkey gumbo (with nothing other than the bone broth, seasonings and rue and ate it over rice. I made lots of turkey and vegetable soups as well. If you can have lamb, I would also roast a leg of lamb and do the same thing. That way I always had protein on hand for quick meals.

Also, quick on the go snacks/breakfasts....muffins!! You can make muffins using no eggs, milk, soy, etc. You can even puree up things like zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkin, etc. to add to it to boost the nutrition. Add in some hemp protein powder, hemp seeds or other nuts that are safe for you to boost the protein content as well.

The biggest thing on an elimination diet while BF'ing...make sure you get plenty of protein and fats. Also, make sure you are taking a MSP free calcium supplement along with vit. D. Since you can't have dairy, your calcium intake is more limited. I ended up taking a double dose of calcium along with prenatals. I also doused everything in olive oil or coconut oil. If you're not eating enough calories, your milk supply will definitely suffer!!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Good suggestions above. I wasn't ever beef-free [I was dairy/soy/egg/legume/wheat/peanut/shellfish/fish/treenut-free, or variations thereof, the biggies though were dairy/soy/egg over time], but I would add:

Make soups; freeze them in meal-size portions and then eat as you need them. I did this with a chicken barley soup; you could make vegetable stew, vegetarian chili, minestrone (with safe egg-free noodles), etc. and just freeze them. After a couple weeks, you've got a good variety to just take out, heat, and eat when you have time.

Spinach and pasta: cook pasta, while it's cooking, saute onions in olive oil. Add garlic, saute another minute or so, then add thawed, drained frozen spinach (also add mushrooms, tomatoes, whatever else you would like at this point). Saute 'til heated through. Add cooked pasta, toss with salt and pepper. Delicious and rich.

I would buy frozen winter squash, and mix it with whatever meat I had at lunch - I could eat faster that way.
It would taste good with chicken, turkey, or lamb. Too bad you can't have beef, because this was my go-to 'casserole,' I would mix it with rice, burger, and eat it. Frozen squash actually works well for that 'creamy' texture that you start missing without cheese - I would mix it with salsa and eat safe tortilla chips!

Planned-overs - make extra foods at supper time, heat at lunch. This works especially well with chicken. We would grill chicken breasts, and then I would eat them with a green salad at lunch time. My favorite is an Herbs de Provence marinated chicken breast, with green salad and olives (either black or uncured green olives).

Pasta with red sauce (if you can't find a safe marinara sauce, you can make a big batch and freeze in meal portions).

We bought a fry-baby and made homemade french fries once a week, lots of oven-roasted veggies at meal times.

Can you have pork? I would make roasts, and pork roast would work, in the crock-pot and then eat leftovers for lunch. You can vary up the pork - cook it with sauerkraut, or etc.

You're right to be concerned about calorie intake -- you basically have to reverse the 'eat healthy' thinking and start eating more foods cooked in oils etc. (within reason). Find a few dessert recipes that you like (homemade fruit pies should be safe for you, for instance; wacky cake; etc.). And as a pp noted, you can make dairy/egg/soy-free desserts by substituting coconut milk, or rice milk, or apple juice for the dairy - and flax meal and water for the egg, or etc.

If you vary the kinds of rice you make (short grain brown, jasmine, long grain brown, wild, etc.) that makes the rice/potato reliance less noticeable while you're dairy/soy/egg free.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!! great tips! i will check out the recipes for desserts! i do olive oil everything lol i figured its got good fats in it. im still a heavy girl since giving birth...so i was used to watching what i ate and now im trying to eat more lol i guess Aniela decided to put me on a healthier diet so i will quit complaining about being fat lol. this weekend im going to roast a turkey and chicken and then make the broths. its funny how i didnt think of half of these things when they seem so obvious now lol. i can eat pork also i think i left it out on accident. thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.