Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this should be an easy question.<br><br>
I have a month old DD and I am going back to work at 12 weeks, so June 25th.<br><br>
My plan was to introduce a bottle at about six weeks (sporadically, at least).<br><br>
But I thought I might go ahead and try out the pump sometime soon mostly out of curiosity, and to see if this pump will work for me. Is there a certain time I should try it? Just after I nurse her? In between?<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I would pump right after - you might not get much if she has drained you well, but what you get will likely be the creamier hind milk. If your nursing relationship is going well - latch, etc - I don't know that you *need* to wait until 6 weeks to introduce the bottle, as I've heard from some of the mamas that waiting too long (how long is too long, I don't know) can lead to bottle rejection.<br><br>
I was pumping from nearly day one - I pumped a little at the beginnning of the feed to relieve the engorgement enough that DS could latch and it helped draw the nipple out.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!<br><br>
We were having some latch problems, but a trip to the chiropractor helped a lot. We have two more chiro appts this week, so I'll probably try the bottle after we're done with that. She generally doesn't like the paci at all, so hopefully the bottle won't be similarly rejected. I hope the fact that milk comes out will make it more interesting! I am definitely not worried about nipple confusion at this point too much, she looooves to eat.

·
Registered
739 Posts
When I first started pumping, I pumped after her first feeding of the morning. I found that she usually fell asleep after that feeding and I was able to pump while I watched her sleep and still get a fairly decent amount of milk. I think we introduced the bottle to her around 4-5 weeks old and she took it from Dh without a problem.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I started pumping around 4 weeks with my DD. I actually found it easier to do between feedings, when baby was sleeping. That way I had both hands free to figure out the whole pumping thing. FWIW, DD never took a bottle from me, and wouldn't take one if I was around, but always sucked them right down once she went to DC.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
also what bottles you choose may make a difference; DS didn't and doesn't care, but alot of the mamas on here like the breastflow ones, it simulates the latch and lets the baby control the flow the best of most of the ones I've seen.<br><br>
I wish they made a glass version (we use mostly glass bottles) but all of them are bpa free, at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts