Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roughly 38 weeks.

I went in for my appt today and she checked my cervix...again. (Why they feel the need to do this at each appt I have NO idea and plan to ask next week) I am barely even beginning to dilate (1/2cm is what I was told) That was at, oh, 8am or so this morning.

It's 6pm now and I'm having a large increase in discharge (like thick stuff) that as some pink to it. I have had no regular contractions or anything. My yoni is kind of sore (like, close to the entrance)

Did she just irritate my cervix by having her fingers in it and my body is reacting?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It could be as simple as things just getting stirred up from the exam. It could also possibly be part of your mucous plug. It is nothing to worry about. Did she strip your membranes or do a "sweep" by any chance or suggest "stirring things up"?

BTW, you can totally refuse internals and they do not need to do them at all. There's truly no reason for it and you do have the right to refuse.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'd tell her to keep her fingers out!
:There is no reason for her to be poking around. She may have irritated your cervix during the exam, could be where a little of the pink is coming from. What kind of discharge? Creamy? Mucous-ey? I mean, it wouldn't be out of the question to be losing some plug at this point, but considering the morning's events, I'd assume that it may be from the exam.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
What's her reasoning for being in there? It won't tell her anything about impending labor; she should know that. Is she just curious, or does she think you're curious? Let her know to stay out of there if you don't like it.

I bet everything will calm down with your cervix soon. Let us know!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher View Post
It could be as simple as things just getting stirred up from the exam. It could also possibly be part of your mucous plug. It is nothing to worry about. Did she strip your membranes or do a "sweep" by any chance or suggest "stirring things up"?

BTW, you can totally refuse internals and they do not need to do them at all. There's truly no reason for it and you do have the right to refuse.
Nope, no mention of stirring things up at all. She did kind of move her fingers around inside a bit after feeling my cervix (mumbling numbers to herself the whole time...I have NO idea what that was about)

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbanmama View Post
I'd tell her to keep her fingers out!
:There is no reason for her to be poking around. She may have irritated your cervix during the exam, could be where a little of the pink is coming from. What kind of discharge? Creamy? Mucous-ey? I mean, it wouldn't be out of the question to be losing some plug at this point, but considering the morning's events, I'd assume that it may be from the exam.
Mucous-ey. Kind of like slime almost...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
Probably some of your mucous plug. I hate being checked because every time I am I end up bleeding. Not to mention the achiness afterward.
achiness like crampy? Okay, I've also had a bit of that this evening... but that's happened after EVERY pelvic exam of any kind that I've had my whole pregnancy.

It's calmed down a lot. It was just a lot all at once and the pink kind of worried me. I WAS curious last week to see if I had started dilating...but since I haven't progressed at all AND she told me that I could dilate to 2cm and have nothing happen I'm going to ask that she not do it again.

Thanks for calming my fears

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, see, I wasn't told of this lol

I was told ANY pink at all to come in to the OB ward...but if it's because she was, excuse my term, digging around in there the last thing I want to do is go in and have them do it again

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
achiness like crampy? Okay, I've also had a bit of that this evening... but that's happened after EVERY pelvic exam of any kind that I've had my whole pregnancy.

It's calmed down a lot. It was just a lot all at once and the pink kind of worried me. I WAS curious last week to see if I had started dilating...but since I haven't progressed at all AND she told me that I could dilate to 2cm and have nothing happen I'm going to ask that she not do it again.

Thanks for calming my fears

Yup crampiness. And soreness and just unpleasant altogether.

You could be 2 cm or 5 cm and be like that for weeks. Or you could be 1/2 cm today and have your baby tomorrow. Dilation means nothing. Sorry.

I am surprised you were told to come in if you had any pink at all. Bloody show is usually, well bloody. Unless you have previa I wouldn't think a little blood in mucous would be something to be seen for.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Quote:

You could be 2 cm or 5 cm and be like that for weeks. Or you could be 1/2 cm today and have your baby tomorrow. Dilation means nothing. Sorry.
Totally that!! I was barely 1cm at onset of labor with my 2nd - and I was holding him 4hrs later.

My girlfriend was 4cm for 5 days before she delivered her 2nd - and still labored for just over 6 hrs til she was holding him!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

I am surprised you were told to come in if you had any pink at all. Bloody show is usually, well bloody. Unless you have previa I wouldn't think a little blood in mucous would be something to be seen for.
*shrugs* no idea. I was told any bleeding come right in...obviously I'm refusing to do that.
The "bleeding" I've had looks more like an injury response (like strings of blood in the mucous...TMI I know, sorry) not like period bleeding or anything.

Still lots of mucous. It's more annoying than anything else.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm still having this nasty mucous stuff...I finally broke down and put on a pantyliner... Ugh, pregnancy is gross sometimes.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by umbrella View Post
With the mucous plug, you don't just lose it and it's gone. Your body will keep producing it.
Great. So the uncomfortable amount of discharge could continue for the next 2 weeks? Awesome
*end sarcasm*

ETA: AHA just found this:

Quote:
Having sex or a vaginal exam can dislodge your mucous plug or cause you to see some bloody discharge."
So she probably did dislodge it. That's it, no more checks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I started losing my mucus plug around 36wks- maybe earlier? It was kind of an ongoing thing in the last weeks. (It can regenerate) And I didn't get any checks until labor (I see MWs). Thats what yours sounds like. Totally normal and no need to go to OB ward unless theres a lot of blood or something.
I wouldn't worry about, but I'd tell her to keep her hands out of your vagina until you go into labor. I'd also make it clear that you want her to Ask before hand before stripping membranes, breaking water, etc. once in labor. Often times docs just do it and then tell the patient (or not)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I was going to say this too.
IMO checking the cervix won't tell you much anyway. You can go from not being dilated to being 3 cm in a short amount of time. So yeah, it doesn't really tell you much or serves no purpose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.