Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS stopped napping shortly after he turned 2, but still gets pretty tired and worn out by the end of the day (as do I
)

I cannot get him to be quiet and play in his playroom unattended even when I am trying to nurse DD down in the family bedroom. He is the jumpy, loud, very active type and I cannot figure out how to get him to take some independent quiet time during the day. I think it would do us ALL a lot of good if I could incorporate some type of rest into our daily routine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
You have my sympathy. I was in the same boat. Nothing I did worked. "Quiet time" sounded great but was not something my 3yo was able or willing to do.

On the bright side, without the nap he started going to sleep at 8pm for the first time, instead of climbing the walls until 10pm

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Try setting a kitchen timer. For whatever reason, the timer holds *some* sway w/my almost 4 yo. I get some compliance w/"it's quiet time in your room w/books/puzzles until the timer goes off."

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you put the timer where your 4 yo can see it? I would think that would be the most effective strategy, but I can't figure out how to put it in sight but out of reach. He will dink around with the buttons until the time is reset.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
my dd has a gate across her door and happily plays for around an hour after lunch every day, sometimes she will lie down for a nap mostly she just plays. knowing she cannot leave her room seems to help her settle and relax. when she gets bored after about an hour she yells can i come out now, but she always seems calmer and ore relaxed for having played alone, and i feel a lot more calm. she turned 3 in november.

·
Registered
380 Posts
this may not be the answer you're looking for, but dd (who will be 3 on thurs) stopped napping about 4 months ago. i know that she needs downtime too because every time we get into the car she falls asleep, but when i try quiet time she's like your ds unless i read her book and hey i need a break too KWIM. so our "quiet time" usually consists of her watching a video from the library while i nurse dd2 (7mos old) down. i get sesame street or reading rainbow or something like that. while it's not my preferred quiet time i get an hour break and she watches "educational" videos...minus commercials. then we usually read a big old stack of books for another half hour or so or else she'd be trying to wake up her little sis. i'll be reading for other suggestions too, but this is where we are for now....

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmamamerina View Post
do you put the timer where your 4 yo can see it? I would think that would be the most effective strategy, but I can't figure out how to put it in sight but out of reach. He will dink around with the buttons until the time is reset.
I put the timer on top of the wall mirror in her room. Yes, in sight/out of reach. Is there any type of mirror/artwork on the wall that has a little frame you could balance it on?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I let him play on my computer or just reading and writing. DS loves starfall.com and Kneebouncers.com and also Tuxpaint! He's quite good at using the mouse and keyboard now and knowing what to click on the screen to exit. I also give him a blank paper and let him practice writing the ABC's.

my DS is also VERY active, but they will eventually settle down a bit during the day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsgrl84 View Post
I let him play on my computer or just reading and writing. DS loves starfall.com and Kneebouncers.com and also Tuxpaint! He's quite good at using the mouse and keyboard now and knowing what to click on the screen to exit. I also give him a blank paper and let him practice writing the ABC's.

my DS is also VERY active, but they will eventually settle down a bit during the day.
The computer seems to be the solution we needed. It took some doing, with him yelling for help while I was nursing the baby down in the other room. But we are now to a point where he will follow me upstairs and sit down to play all by himself. In fact, I forgot that I had set up a few favorites on his internet explorer until I came in the room yesterday and was surprised to him on PBSkids.org. We had never shown him how to use the favorites button, he just figured it out!
:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joyfilledmomma View Post
so our "quiet time" usually consists of her watching a video from the library while i nurse dd2 (7mos old) down. i get sesame street or reading rainbow or something like that. while it's not my preferred quiet time i get an hour break and she watches "educational" videos...minus commercials. then we usually read a big old stack of books for another half hour or so or else she'd be trying to wake up her little sis. i'll be reading for other suggestions too, but this is where we are for now....
This is us too. ds is unable to play by himself for more than about 60 seconds, so tv is the only way to steal enough time to get dd down and to get myself a few minutes of quiet time. I'm ok with this, in rationed amounts, since he demands undivided attention the rest of the day.

·
Registered
280 Posts
ANother suggestion would be books on CD. When my now 4yo turned 3, he was in the same situation. We got a bunch of "Magic Treehouse" cd's from the library, and he could pick one each day. They last about 40 minutes or so. He loved it, I loved having him listen to chapter books, and it lasted for about a year. Now, he's not into it as much because he wants to play with us while the others are napping, but we just need to find a new series I think

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
My DD likes it if I put a cushion (I have a long window seat cushion) on the floor with her blanket and pillow. She will lay there and fall asleep fairly often, especially if we've had a big walk or (now in the winter) ice skating in the morning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.