Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you crafty mamas! I was at the craft store the other day and saw these precut squares of fabric for quilts. They're different shades of blue with stars and they're sooo pretty! So, of course, I bought them, thinking, how hard could it be to make a quilt? Of course, now I'm having second thoughts.
: I think I'm going to start with a crib sized quilt for Mylo, and maybe I'll just put on a fleece backing with no batting in the middle. Is this a good idea, or will it not work? Secondly, I'm going to do it all by hand because I'm a glutton for punishment.
Really, I just think it sounds like fun to do it that way. Am I crazy? How long will it take, including interruptions from my 19 month old, to make the top of a simple three color "just sew the squares together" kind of quilt?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I made a crib sized quilt and hand quilted it stitch in the ditch in two months and that was working fast and furious.

I think 4-6 months would be more accurate especially since your babe is nearing 2. That depends, though, on how committed you are to getting it done (prolly could do it faster.)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PS! I actually started the thing last night and it looks like I'll finish it tomorrow.
It's just a crib sized block quilt top, a layer of warm & natural, and flannel backing... I decided to tie it instead of trying to hand stitch in the ditch... I need immediate results, you know?
I did all the block stitching and tying by hand though, now I just have to machine stitch the binding.... it's too many layers now to get through with a regular needle. anyways, thanks for your help, and hopefully once I figure out my camera, I can post pictures. I'm pretty proud of my first try.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Piecing can always be done fast, it's the hand quilting part that takes forever. I think tying is the best way to get started because you can get fast results which is always good.

They do have special curved needles for tying. You can try those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts