Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you recommend? When and why would you use a hoop over a large frame. What do you do if space and $$$ are limited?<br><br>
I was looking at frames online, but most of what I saw was hundreds of dollars or designed for longarm machines.<br><br>
I do a lot of machine quilting but I am interested in having the option to handquilt a project. So far I have only handquilted very small projects where I just hold them on my hand as I quilt.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've done both. My mother has a full sized frame I've used. It takes up a lot of space but it does a good job. Her father made it for her, so it wasn't expensive, but my understanding is that buying a good new one is very expensive. I've done several full sized quilts on a hoop. I like it because it doesn't take up much space (a full sized quilt on a frame is about the size of a twin bed) and it's portable. And you can sit on your sofa and watch tv while quilting, which is tough with a frame. If you use a hoop, especially on a large quilt, its important to do a very good job basting it.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How closely do you baste?<br><br>
Have you ever tried one of those hoops that is on a swivel stand so you can set it on a table and adjust the angle to your comfort?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have not done the swivel stand thing, just a round hoop. I do rows of basting across the quilt about 3-4 inches apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts