Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been quilting since I was a teenager. a few years ago, I was ftunate enough that my dh grandma was cleaning out her basement before moving and found a box of quilt leftovers from her church quilting club which she asked if I was intrested in before she threw it out. was I ever! you can't beat a church basement quilting club. what a treasure. all the fabrics were honest to oodness vintage from the 50s-70s. there were crazy quilt blocks, enough to put together into a good size quilt, with the just the loudest gaudies fabrics ever :LOL it is awsome. there were also various stacks of other blocks enough to make crib quits and doll quilts.

So what i have before me (I have been on a mission the last couple of weeks to complete every quilting project I have ever started.) are some very beautiful ring parts to a wedding ring quilt. just enough to make a very sweet baby quilt. the patterns look to be from the 50s and 60s maybe some even from the 40s. I am so excited. But i don't have any idea what scale they used or how to make pattern peices for the center parts. I have made a wedding ring quilt before so I know what the peices need to look like generally. I even still have the templates (my first quilt actualy was a queen size wedding ring - pretty ambitious. someone should have told me that it would be slightly harder than a 9 patch :LOL) do I just trace the spaces left when the rings are lain out? do I add a quater inch seem allowance? more? less? if it weren't curves this would be a peice of cake but I have never made peices with curves before. I suppose I could try using the template I have . so long as the curve is at the same degree of whatever and I start in the middle it should work right? I am so excited to finish this one but have no idea where to go from here.

Oh tell me what you think of this idea (things always get so much clearer when I am typing) maybe I should trace the rings on newspaper and then fill in the missing peices, cut them out, sew them together and see if it works. then I would know what I needed for center peices. or would that not translate right into fabric? The peices I need are the corner posts (squares - peice of cake), the peice that loks like this () and one that looks like this ) ( (with concave on top and bottom too to make a squished square. )

TIA

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? anyone?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts