Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Seems like lately I've had lots of questions and I'm only 11 weeks pregnant!

I haven't announced to work that I'm quitting and I don't feel safe asking questions of my HR department without it getting back to my boss. So I was wondering... I have Keiser Insurance and my husband has United. So far I love Keiser and would like the baby to be born under that insurance. We have a mid-wife that we love and we like the service we've received.

I plan on working up until the baby is due and then quitting.

My question is: If I work up until the baby is due, is that considered my last day and my insurance ends? Or what if I have to leave work a week or two early (doctor's orders), or even a few days early? Since I intend to quit, is that my last day?

I know it will depend on my company, but I don't plan on telling my work until February 1st. Just wanting to know if anyone else has had a similar experience to share. (I do plan on talking to my HR department the morning that I tell my boss, just in case it influences my decision to say anything about leaving at that point).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
What about using Family Medical Leave after leaving work, and then not officially quitting employment until soon after the baby is born? That would solve the insurance problem, as long as your employer was willing to pay the extra few weeks of benefits knowing you wouldn't be coming back.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Most insurances last until the end of the month that you quit. So as long as you don't quit on the 30/31st of the month, you should have insurance until the month ends. But check with your HR person, they will know what the rules are.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I would check with the insurance company. Tell them you are *thinking* about quitting, but not sure. When I switched jobs, my health insurance from my old job covered me for an extra month or two outside of when I actually left, so I had overlapping insurance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It depends on the insurance and the company. My insurance ends the very day that I quit, no matter whether I've already paid the insurance premium for the rest of the month. (It's Anthem BCBS). And in my case, I can't bank leave and then technically be "on vacation" for two weeks while waiting for the baby to come and then quit when my vacation time runs out. So I have to literally be at work until I feel something trickle down my leg in order for the baby to be covered under my insurance without going to COBRA or my husband's insurance. Bummer! Just another insult to women and maternity, imho.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would make absolutely no mention to anyone at work that you are not planning on returning.

Two things I would like to point out:

1) On the health insurance issue: you may check to see how COBRA would fit into this equation.

2) If you have short term disability (and, YES, pregnancy is considered a disability) insurance then under NO CIRCUMSTANCE quit before the baby's arrival. You MUST return to work after your leave is over. Now how long you stay after the leave is another thing altogether. I have seen several women during my career show up for work and on their first day back give their two week notice or they just show up for that one day and that's it. But you actually have to return back to work or the insurance company can ask for the money back.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

Ideally I wouldn't want to tell my work I'm quitting, then take the 6 weeks maternity leave, come back and give my two weeks notice. But in good faith I really should tell my company so they can hire a replacement. I do accounting and I close out the month. My company will need time to hire a replacement and for me to train the new person during a "closing." I imagine if I tell them I'm quitting they'll deny me the 6 weeks maternity leave, which would be nice to have financially. I could delay telling them I'm quitting, which would delay their ability to hire and for me to train someone new; in which case they'll need me to come back. But they'll be a lot of pressure for me to tell them until I do.

In any case, it would be good if my insurance would carry on for the month, but we have a July 4th baby! We'll have to hope they're not born at the end of June. Since this is our first, I've heard the first is usually born later than the due date. Is that true?

Definitely have to talk to HR before I talk to my boss. I don't plan on quitting before the baby is due, but what if the Doctor says I have to take off work until the baby is due for whatever reason? (I can't think of a reason; things have been going really well and I'm fairly active and healthy, so knock on wood that everything stays that way). I may try and think of a way to broach the subject in a hypothetical way with HR.

I hate this part of trying to figure this stuff out. It's one thing I really don't want to think about. I guess if worse comes to worse we'll use DH's insurance. The baby would still be born at the same hospital, we'd just loose the mid-wife, and at the last minute we wouldn't know who would be there to deliver our baby. I'd prefer not to use COBRA since I've heard they're expensive, and with DH's insurance it's probably not necessary. But FMLA is possible! And my company does offer Short Term Disability... Major confusion...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't know that about COBRA. For some reason I thought it was its own "Insurance," like Keiser or United. I did search for how much Keiser is out-of-pocket and it's expensive!

I couldn't take it so I went down to HR to see who was down there and who might be able to answer my "hypothetical" questions. I forgot a friend of mine had just switched back to HR after many years, so I was able to talk to them!

I kept things on the hypothetical, just saying that my husband's benefits were coming up and we had this question about insurance. The great news is they totally convinced me not to tell my boss I'm quitting and to take the maternity leave. They said I could call later to let my boss know I'm not coming back and wouldn't have to pay back any maternity leave pay, plus I'd get to keep my insurance during that time! PERFECT!!!
: So excited. I know some of you suggested this already, but I feel some loyalty to my company to be truthful, but now I'm convinced that this is a good compromise. Especially since they'll need to train someone anyway.

I feel so much better, like the hugest weight has been lifted off me. Thanks for listening and commenting!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm glad you figured things out. (I asked my benefits person similar questions when I was TTC.)

My insurance continues until the last day of the month. I'm not going to quit per se (since my job is just for 1 year and ends 2 weeks after I'm due.) I'm just going to take unpaid leave those last two weeks, and my insurance will continue through the end of the month. I'm due July 18th with my second, and I know I won't go into August (I went into labor with #1 on my due date.)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ck1 View Post
The great news is they totally convinced me not to tell my boss I'm quitting and to take the maternity leave. They said I could call later to let my boss know I'm not coming back and wouldn't have to pay back any maternity leave pay, plus I'd get to keep my insurance during that time! PERFECT!!!
: So excited. I know some of you suggested this already, but I feel some loyalty to my company to be truthful, but now I'm convinced that this is a good compromise. Especially since they'll need to train someone anyway.
You know, I feel like this issue is an issue of equal rights and women in the workplace. What I mean is that unless they just don't want to hire women, they're going to face this issue, and the reality is that most employers in our country have just not admitted that. In Europe they deal with this reality by making it easy to have babies -- be covered by insurance, have really long maternity leaves, etc. And the upshot is that more women feel able to come back to work! The fact that our culture has not caught on is not your fault, and working around our broken system is *nothing* to feel guilty about. You're a woman, and they hired you, which means that this was part of the package. If they don't provide adequate support, this kind of thing is what happens. It's not particular to you -- it's what companies have to deal with because of the choices they make.

Stepping off my soapbox, and stopping the choir-preaching.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Sounds like you found a good way to do it!

I used short term disability insurance (which I'd been paying for for the 5 years I worked at the company) to cover the max amount of weeks that it would cover (6 weeks for a vaginal birth). I also used some vacation/sick leave as needed. I ended up not having to come back to work at all. Now I did NOT put my baby on my insurance (there was no need), but my insurance did cover my hospitalization (I was hospitalized for 4 days prior to the birth). I just gave my 2 week notice 2 weeks before my short term disability ended, so when that was over, I officially stopped working there, and I never had to go back to work for even a day.

My boss knew from the first trimester that I was planning to stop working when I had my baby. I just didn't mention it to the short term disability insurance company.
It was good that I notified my boss, as they needed to get someone up to speed on my part of our project. And it was *really* good that they knew early, because I gave birth 2.5 months early, so it was a lot earlier than any of us expected me to stop working!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ck1 View Post
Hello everyone!

Seems like lately I've had lots of questions and I'm only 11 weeks pregnant!

I haven't announced to work that I'm quitting and I don't feel safe asking questions of my HR department without it getting back to my boss. So I was wondering... I have Keiser Insurance and my husband has United. So far I love Keiser and would like the baby to be born under that insurance. We have a mid-wife that we love and we like the service we've received.

I plan on working up until the baby is due and then quitting.

My question is: If I work up until the baby is due, is that considered my last day and my insurance ends? Or what if I have to leave work a week or two early (doctor's orders), or even a few days early? Since I intend to quit, is that my last day?

I know it will depend on my company, but I don't plan on telling my work until February 1st. Just wanting to know if anyone else has had a similar experience to share. (I do plan on talking to my HR department the morning that I tell my boss, just in case it influences my decision to say anything about leaving at that point).

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I told someone I was preggers in my 1st tri...thinking that person was reliable/smart. It took about 6hrs for every employee, including my boss and HR, to find out.

But, fortunately, the process is heavily managed and laid out by the powers that be. So I have insurance until the end of the year, then I go under hubbies or I can pay out of pocket to keep mine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mbravebird I hear you! Other European countries care for families with newborns much better. You'd figure since we're so modernized that the US would catch-up.

I've thought more about this and I sort of kick myself for thinking how nice I wanted to be in giving my company plenty of notice, when in the end it's me and my family that looses!
: WTH? It's this type of thing that causes companies to think twice about hiring women: "We can't hire women because if they get pregnant they'll leave us hanging." But if they just gave us options I think most women would not go that route.

Oh well, I'm glad things are working out, and I hope it helps someone else whose trying to make a similar decision. I think my boss will know that I most likely won't come back, just because I've mentioned that I planned to quit once I had a child, which caused him panic, but he understood and supported it. I just can't be honest and say it up front now.

I hope it's still a secret at work. Though, sometimes I feel like people know even though I don't think it's possible.

Thanks for listening!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.