Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are white foster parents in Baltimore raising kids coming detention centers. How do we keep our young men safe in this world:(

No amount of reading or foster care education can prepare you for the sheer terror of being a young white woman raising a Black teenager in a large city. You read up on white privilege, you look to other moms who have experience, you consult with Black friends about hair and holidays and clothes, and you white knuckle your way through the news. “Son, be smart, be smarter than they are, we love you so much, there is no room for error.”

You cry the whole way through “Fruitvale Station” because you know that your precious son is a good young man who loves fiercely and can sometimes be impulsive. You know that being in the wrong place at the wrong time means a parking ticket for you and a fatal spinal injury for him. Because there is no room for error.

·
Registered
968 Posts
This has been going through my mind a lot too. My eyes have been opened. How do we raise precious children so they are strong and love who they are? How do we keep their eyes open while trying not to hurt them? How do we protect them yet equip them for the world? I am trying to figure this out myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts