Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got dd's new Radian 65 yesterday. Yay!

We installed it this morning and took it for the first test run a few minutes ago. We are having a problem tightening the harness straps. The instructions say to use the Safestop strap for kids under 40 pounds. Dd is 4+ yo but is still quite tiny at 32 pounds. So we put that strap on. Unless we interpreted the instructions incorrectly, this strap goes on the back where the harness straps connect with the strap you pull to tighten them. Because the connectors from the Safestop strap and the actual harness straps must go over a corner to tighten, they get hung up and will not go any further. We literally cannot get her harness tight enough to feel comfortable using it. Are we doing something wrong? We even tried snaking our hands behind the seat to help it along, but got nowhere. We are used to a Britax Roundabout that has a much smoother harness tightening mechanism. I am disheartened that this is such a problem. Suggestions?

ETA - I was just messing around with it by myself..... Keep in mind that my dd is very very small for her age. With the Safestop, it is actually not possible to tighten the harness correctly for very thin children. I pull the adjuster strap until all of it has been pulled out and the Safestop connector is stopping it from tightening further. This is still not tight enough for my dd. We MUST be doing something wrong. If a 12 month old could feasibly be ff and using the Safestop strap on a lower harness slot, it would never be tight enough. What is going on?

·
Banned
5,868 Posts
Can you post a few pictures? What is the DOM of your Radian65? Some of the original 06s had this problem because the belt path underneath the seat was so shallow that once the seat was installed it was damn near impossible to tighten it properly. The newer seats have a deeper trench for the adjuster to run thru now.

It IS a difficult seat to tighten and that is probably my biggest complaint, as I am a diehard Britax fan.

I find it easiest to tighten before they get in it and then wrestle all the buckles together

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DOM is May 07. Dd is asleep now so I cannot get photos. But I just went out and messed around with it again with dh. I am now thinking that this all boils down to ease of use. I thought it was maxing out (based on what I could feel while installed) but we took it out of the car and it wasn't. It is just getting caught up with the connector in the bend of the sleeve. I think it is just an ease-of-use thing and we are spoiled. If I practically sit on the adjuster strap, I can get it to go over the bend. But that does not work when dd is in the seat and I just need to make it go a little bit more. After doing some google searching, I learned about "ratcheting" it so that might help.

I am wondering if it would be really bad practice to tighten it with the chest clip undone, then clip it after it is relatively tight to take up any extra slack? I need a "procedure" that is going to work when others are driving dd somewhere. It is infrequent but sometimes necessary....and I imagine will become more so as she gets older. With our Roundabout, dd was doing it all herself with just a double check from us. She was able to pull the adjuster strap to the proper tightness with no help at all. It was very rare that I had to do anything to "fix" her seat on my double check. And with that, it was almost always a clip that did not "click" all of the way. There is no way dd can get herself in this seat without lots of help......

·
Registered
903 Posts
Welcome to owning a Radian. I have a Radian80, manufactured this year. The best thing to do is tighten the harness before your DC gets in there and then put your DC in the seat. If its too tight, loosen only slightly.
I love my Radian with the exception of this problem. I get really good installs with this seat in both of my older cars, my ds likes it, it reclines slightly, and its plush..well more plush than his OHS eddie bauer (don't throw stuff at me)

Denise

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cutekid View Post
Welcome to owning a Radian. I have a Radian80, manufactured this year. The best thing to do is tighten the harness before your DC gets in there and then put your DC in the seat. If its too tight, loosen only slightly.
Yep.

I'm not sure about the safestop, though. I have only installed it FF once for DD who is 27 lbs (very tall & skinny) but I didn't have a problem getting it tight. It's much easier getting it tight when FF than RF.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My DD will be 4 in December and is FF in a Radian 65 and weighs about 28 pounds. I haven't had any issues with the straps tightening, and I do use the safe stop feature on it. We did make sure the strap was only a little loose before we installed it, but I haven't had any issues with it not being tight enough. I hope you are able to figure it out!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I am beginning to wonder if we are doing the whole car seat thing wrong. I thought you were suppose to loosen and tighten the straps each time the child gets in. We do avoid bulky winter coats but there is still a big difference from a cotton sun dress and corduroys with wool sweater in the tightness of the harness. At this time of year, it can go either way each day so I do feel I need to adjust the harness straps each time. The only seat we have regularly used before this one is the Roundabout which was very easy to tighten each time. I messed around with this seat several times today and have so far not been able to actually get the harness straps tight enough on dd. And the problem is clearly getting the safestop connector to go around the corner of the bottom of the seat. Should I be "setting" the harness straps and keeping them there all of the time? If so, why do they even bother to have a adjuster strap? How horrible would it be to take the safestop off? Which is better, loose harness straps with safestop or tight without? Even with the ratcheting, I am not getting a very tight harness. It will not ratchet any further once the connector gets to the corner with dd in the seat. With her out, I can get it to ratchet past the corner but only with great force. We had our old seat inspected by a car seat tech and he said I should not be able to get any fingers under the harness. I can get my whole hand under hers now, even if I literally stand on the adjuster strap. It just will not go any further.

I am getting very frustrated. I live in a very rural area. I ordered this seat online and am not sure I can return it. I should have gone with the Regent
I was just looking to be able to use the other two seats in the back of my car which is not possible with the size of the Regent.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
We did make sure the strap was only a little loose before we installed it, but I haven't had any issues with it not being tight enough.
What does this mean? Do you not adjust each time? Or did I miss something when installing?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Yooper, it sounds like you need more help than you can get from Ye Old Message Board Carseat Geeks

Is there a tech in your area? Or do you live near me? LOL.

I wish!

One of the local insurance companies bring in a tech once a year. That was just a couple of months ago. Every year there has been a waiting list and this was the first year we were able to get an inspection. Other than that, we do not have one. I have found names and numbers listed on tech search sites, but when I call, they never know what I am talking about. It has all been the fire departments and police stations. If they have any clue what I am referring to, it has been to tell me they can get me a free seat if I need one. But they can never help with the seat I have.

Does anyone know what the safestop does?

·
Registered
567 Posts
the safestop absorbs crash forces. the stitching in it is designed to release in a crash and it stretches out in length thus cushioning the impact of the child forward onto the harness. the advice you have been given that you shouldn't be able to fit a finger under the harness is not correct. you should be able to fit one finger under the harness at the child's chest. The straps should be snug, but not have any slack in them. I have a radian80 and as long as my son's clothing is fairly consistent, we don't have to adjust the harness. Was your seat made in 2006? if you really dislike the harness i'd sell it and buy a 2007 with the deeper harness channel. we don't have that problem on our new model.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Actually, "they" suggest doing the pinch test instead of the finger test. If you can pinch slack at the shoulder, the harness is too loose. Otherwise, you're fine. Our Radian straps always look loose, but we can't pinch slack.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Actually, "they" suggest doing the pinch test instead of the finger test. If you can pinch slack at the shoulder, the harness is too loose. Otherwise, you're fine. Our Radian straps always look loose, but we can't pinch slack.
Good to know! I actually questioned that when the inspector told me that. He was telling me that dd was WAY to loose in her harness and I was surprised because I could not even come close to pinching the straps. He told me the finger rule. But this guy was also completely unfamiliar with our Roundabout and could not answer my questions about the tether so I guess I am not surprised. We also told me that dd "should" go in a booster now and did not see any point in buying a larger 5-pt harness seat for her. "Well, if you like throwing money away....." He was very nice and helpful, but I did not feel like he knew his stuff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.