Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi experts! DH and I just reinstalled our RF Radian XT in a 10 yr old Saturn wagon, middle position, after taking it out to put the seats down so that we could move some furniture. It led to a big argument...<br><br>
We can easily get a very good lap belt installation without connecting the tether at all. The seat has a good angle, is not touching the front seats and won't budge at all in any direction when pushed around in the base/belt area. We've been inspected and practiced a lot in the beginning so we feel pretty confident however we still debate on how to use the tether. Here are the two options as I see it - note that there is no central spot to hook the tether so it has to go slightly off to the side to connect on the floor at the back of the front passenger seat (I posted about this before and was told it's okay, though that angle still bothers me).<br><br>
1. When the tether is done up and pulled so that it is moderately tight with no slack, the seat is rock solid (moves 1-2 cm max from side to side when pushed from the top/wing area). This does not change the recline angle of the seat.<br><br>
2. When the tether is really yanked as tight as it can go, the seat is absolutely rock solid and won't budge in any direction no matter how you assault it. Despite the tether going on an off-centre angle down to the ground, it does not visibly twist the seat or "tip" it laterally. However, it does pull the incline down by about 5-10 degrees. I don't think it is less than 45 degrees, but I'd say it comes right to 45 degrees.<br><br>
Which is better and why?<br><br>
I'll just add that DS doesn't seem to have a preference regarding the angle of the seat so that is not my main concern. But I wonder if doing a tether up super tight when there is no centre spot to attach it could put uneven tork on the frame of the seat in the event of unusual force such as in a collision. Could this affect the performance and stability of the seat?<br><br>
Thanks in advance from a car-seat-geek-wanna-be!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You are not supposed to pull it very tight, you just need to 'take up the slack'. So I agree, option 1 is best!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts