1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radiation may offer better way to make vaccines

Reuters Health
7/26/06

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vaccines made with bacteria killed by gamma rays may be more effective than those made using standard heat or chemical inactivation, U.S. government researchers said on Wednesday.

Such vaccines do not have to be kept cold, the team at the University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine reported in the journal Immunity.

Dr. Sandip Datta and colleagues made a vaccine from Listeria monocytogenes bacteria, a common cause of food poisoning.

The Listeria were killed with gamma rays and the vaccine protected mice infected with live Listeria, unlike vaccines made with heat-killed bacteria.

"This advance is potentially of great importance in meeting the challenge of creating vaccines that are safe, effective and simple to manufacture and transport," said Dr. Elias Zerhouni, head of the National Institutes of Health, which paid for the study.

"Although completely inactivated by the radiation, and thus unable to cause illness, irradiated bacterial pathogens evidently retain characteristics that prompt the immune system to mount a full-fledged defense," Datta said in a statement.

Vaccines can be made in three ways -- using an attenuated, or weakened, form of live bacteria or virus, using a killed germ, or using pieces of DNA from a bacteria or virus.

Most attenuated vaccines must be kept cold, but the UCSD researchers found that mice could be protected by vaccination with irradiated Listeria that had been freeze-dried into a powder.

This might mean that such vaccines could be used in hot places without electricity, the researchers said.

Vaccines often protect mice but not people so the idea must be tested more, the researchers noted.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gamma rays are also used in 555 Land. From Wikipedia:

An accident involving gamma rays transformed the scientist David Banner into the Incredible Hulk in the Marvel comic of the same name. Many of the Hulk's villains and allies were also affected by gamma rays.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
So are they looking for a listeria vaccine for humans right now, too? I can see the ads already: "Worldwide, listeriosis kills X thousand people per year. Vaccinate your child at 2, 4 and 6 months to protect them from this deadly disease, to which children and pregnant women are so vulnerable."

(Okay, so I'll never have a job writing creepy vaccine ads.
)

Anyway, I'll be passing on those as well, but I do think they might be a better option than what's out today. If the process lets them "retain characteristics that prompt the immune system to mount a full-fledged defense", they might not require an adjuvant, meaning kids would be getting less aluminum with their vaccines. That's a good thing - unless it means they're mutant bacteria that have other weird problems.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plummeting
So are they looking for a listeria vaccine for humans right now, too?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=listeria

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plummeting
I can see the ads already: "Worldwide, listeriosis kills X thousand people per year. Vaccinate your child at 2, 4 and 6 months to protect them from this deadly disease, to which children and pregnant women are so vulnerable."
Oh, don't get me started!

Attention all pregnant women (or women planning to become pregnant)!

You no longer have to suffer in silence as you pass by your favorite sushi restaurant. No need to give up the Greek salad with feta cheese. Want to eat a 20 day old ham on rye? Go ahead . . . lHysteriaVax, a vaccine to prevent listeria, has just been approved!

Ask your OB/GYN about the new listeria vaccine!!! Put your mind at ease.

Parents ask your pediatricians about giving the new listeria vaccine along with Gardasil . . . protect your future grandchildren . . .TODAY.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
So LI, do you have a secret past writing vaccine propaganda? I think you'd make a much better living at it than I would. Heehee

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LongIsland
You no longer have to suffer in silence as you pass by your favorite sushi restaurant. No need to give up the Greek salad with feta cheese. Want to eat a 20 day old ham on rye? Go ahead . . . lHysteriaVax, a vaccine to prevent listeria, has just been approved!

Ask your OB/GYN about the new listeria vaccine!!! Put your mind at ease.

Parents ask your pediatricians about giving the new listeria vaccine along with Gardasil . . . protect your future grandchildren . . .TODAY.[/I]
Don't forget all commercial salads, mussels, salami... listeria is in a huge range of foods... they really could have a smorgasbord couldn't they?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Don't forget all commercial salads, mussels, salami... listeria is in a huge range of foods... they really could have a smorgasbord couldn't they?
Oooohhh, the big commercial dairy industry would NOT like this one! Listeria is the big way the factory dairy producers convince Americans to avoid all raw milk cheeses and other raw dairy products.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Oooohhh, the big commercial dairy industry would NOT like this one! Listeria is the big way the factory dairy producers convince Americans to avoid all raw milk cheeses and other raw dairy products.
thats what i was thinking too. but then i remembered that there is always e.coli for the dairy corp to fall back on.

·
Registered
612 Posts
It's like the current ads -- A Virus that Causes Cancer, who knew?
Yeah, lets all go out and get that vaccine so we don't get cervical cancer!!! I've never tested positive for HPV, I'm not sexually invovled with more than 1 person, nor is my partner, DH. But hey, I'm still high risk cause I'm a woman...

Listeria -- food borne, processed lunch meats and unpasterized milk (i think, even though I drink Raw Dairy...)

Gamma Rays, well, okay, who is paying for this research? Are our hard earned tax dollars funding this? Well, in all likelihood we are funding it in some way, shape or form -- buying prescription drugs, paying taxes that help those who can't afford prescription drugs buy them, paying insurance premiums that go to the same place (pharma co.), etc. -- someone take me down off my soap box...

Coming down now...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamelia
thats what i was thinking too. but then i remembered that there is always e.coli for the dairy corp to fall back on.
Off Topic alert:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't listeria and e coli more likely to affect people who eat/drink pasturized dairy than those who eat certified raw? Seems like l saw that stat somewhere (these preggo hormones suck. I can't remember anything!)

Something to the tune of there's never been an outbreak of either one from Cert Raw Dairy, it's always been pasturized commerical dairy?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Just when you think they can't get any worse or more corrupt....

...radiation? Yeah, let's irradiate our food, our vaccines, use it as a medical treatment... and keep THAT industry afloat, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts