Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hear this quite a bit...okay, I READ this quite a bit. I understand what indigo and crystal children are....are they the same thing? It seems like I see it more here on the loss boards, that is why I am asking. Thanks!

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Well, I don't know what indigo and crystal children are, but rainbow babies are the babies we have after a baby that was lost
*hugs* X

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Yep, just a sweet way of saying subsequent baby I guess.. I kind of think people call then rainbows, because after our babies die our world has a lot of rain.. and what comes after rain?? sunshine and RAINBOWS!!

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
Personally, I do not like the term Rainbow baby. It really bothers me.
Do you mind me asking why? Just being a bit nosey really.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
I don't normally subscribe to nicknames for things, but I do like the term rainbow baby for this reason:

Josie was my very first baby. The one that comes after her will not be. He or she will be my second baby. Calling my new baby my "rainbow baby" makes him or her a first as well, because the last thing I ever want is for my future son or daughter to feel that he or she was less special than Josie because he or she came along later. No other child will ever replace my baby girl, but another baby WILL lift the clouds a awful lot - I long to hold a living child in my arms and I will have this longing until another comes along. That child will be a rainbow, and I love rainbows - I think they're gorgeous, especially when flying (sometimes they can be perfectly round then because you're so high up!).

So, I do actually like the term "rainbow baby" - it makes me feel hopeful and positive about the future and I look forward to my rainbow baby being here - not my first, but my rainbow
But that's my own personal opinion though. *hugs* XXX

· Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, thanks for the info! I guess I thought rainbow babies had something to do with the other two because when I searched I found them together, but it didn't make sense in this context. Now it makes sense.

I guess I was kind of a rainbow baby in that sense. My older brother (my parent's first) was lost to SIDS when he was a few weeks old. I was the next baby shortly after, and a suprise. My nickname was always angel (which is kind of strange now that I am not religious at all) but my grandma always told me that I was the angel who suprised and helped my mom through her grief....I never, ever felt like a replacement and he was always part of our family even though we never met him. I also never felt less than or upset by this. I always felt like I was special, and still the first child in many other aspects.

I love rainbows too, I hope someday I can see one from a plane, that sounds beautiful.

Thank you for sharing!

· Registered
1,790 Posts
The way I understand Rainbow baby is that a rainbow represents promise and hope. In the biblical sense... if I can go there- In Genesis the story of Noah and a flood that destroyed the earth is described. It rained for 40 days and nights and only Noah and his family were saved because of their obedience the G-d. They listened and tried to warn others to no avail. Well, when it was all over and the water began to recede a rainbow appeared in the sky as G-d's promise to never destroy the earth by flood again. It gave them hope that they were safe and that the future would be bright in a sense.

I detailed that for the sake of those who may not be familiar with the story.

So, not that it's a religious connotation in the context in which it's used with regard to loss but I think this is probably where it is derived. Very widely known story which would make the term easy to understand.

Essentially the "promise" would be a living child and hope that it can and will happen for all of those that want it so badly. This is my opinion

· Registered
2,480 Posts
That's true Kristie
I remember that Bible story - and it's a wise book in many contexts. I think also that a rainbow is likely a representation of hope in many cultures and religions because, like shooting stars, lightning, tornadoes and the aurora borealis, it's phenomenon that's been seen by man since man first existed.

And thanks for the story about being a rainbow baby Artsy - it's awesome and so nice to hear that you never felt like a replacement and like the first in so many ways, and also that your grandma was so sweet about it
Thank you for sharing
*hugs* XXX

· Registered
1,790 Posts
It's funny to see others say they feel strangely about it... simply because I'm not sure how I feel yet either. I keep seeing it, and while I think I understand what it means - and that it very well may mean something a little different for everyone, it hasn't struck me personally. I don't like or dislike it, I'm just saying I feel something I'm not sure about whenever I see it. Still stewing on this one.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm with Jay.. I like the term, it feels very positive to me. I like rainbows.. not something you see everyday.. something special, whenever you do get to see one! I think at first, i wasn't sure what I thought about the term.. I'm not big on titles for things either. But I do call Gwen my sunshine girl.. maybe Dresden is my rain baby (kind of dreary, but also since I happen to love rain beautifiul too!) sunshine and rain make a rainbow! I dunno.. haven't really put that much thought into it.. other than I feel the term is a nice positive one.

· Registered
1,790 Posts
Something you don't see everyday... something special...

I like that.

I have to say, I think my feeling unsure about the term probably comes from me relating it to the promise idea. In my mind it feels as though I'm saying I have the promise/hope of another child. The frustration or confusion with this comes in when I start thinking about why there is even a REASON for a promised child. Why should I need hope for another baby? Who is giving me this promise and how could I even trust it to be fullfilled seeing as though I would be entrusting myself to the very same entity which may have seen fit to "allow" my other child to die.

You see, I was born Jewish but raised in a half christian half Jewish home. I have always held onto my Jewish Heritage but have struggled through my life with religion... having had a pretty long and serious stint with a faith ( leaving it un named so as not to offend) that I feel left me with a lot of confusion. I've spent a loooooong time de-programing myself which is where I think my being unsure about the concept of a Rainbow Baby comes from. I'm not angry with G-d, but I do struggle fiercely with the why's. That's a whole different thread though

So all in all... it's not the words, it's really just me and what that term brings to my mind I guess. I just feel screwed. Sorry to be so raw but it's the truth.

I do think Rainbow baby sounds nicer than subsequent baby though.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Kristie- I think we ALL feel screwed!
There's no way around that. And this is the best place TO be raw.. we all get it, we're with ya! I understand what you're saying about being promised another baby and the entitiy who gave you that baby stealing it away again.. it sucks that there are no guarentees and we all know that first hand! Gwen was talking to Shaun one day and said.. "when Dresden comes back to us in a new body, he can see his stocking on our christmas tree" She's almost 3.. and we don't talk about those type of things at all.. so it's something she came up with on her own. So who knows? I like the thought of it!

· Registered
1,790 Posts
OH MY Gosh!! I have thought the same thing!! Micah and I have talked about all sorts of rational and probably completely irrational ideas about the baby's soul etc. One of the things that I would think about a lot in the beginning was the possibility of baby Micah's soul coming back to us in the form of another child. I know that's probably not the case but like you said, I like the thought of it.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
The fact that it came from the mouth of an almost 3 year old too.. I mean, this is not something we've discussed with her at all! I've thought about it a lot.. but when she said that I wanted to pass out! I hope she's right!

· Registered
1,266 Posts
I like the term because of the imagery. After what I hope is the darkest and most turbulent year of my life, I have new hope -- a little baby -- to bring color where the was only darkness and to bring happiness where I dwelled in sadness.

· Registered
843 Posts
I take MUCH comfort in the belief that we will hold, nurse and rear Micah after he is resurrected, at the exact age he was when he died. TONS of comfort. it's the one thing I cling to. I have stuffed lion/lambs around me to help us remember that wonderful world tomorrow when a lion shall dwell with the lamb and the little child shall lead them.

Isaiah 11:6-9 (Isa 11:6) The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

(Isa 11:7) And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

(Isa 11:8) And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.

(Isa 11:9) They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

· Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuddlebaby View Post
I take MUCH comfort in the belief that we will hold, nurse and rear Micah after he is resurrected, at the exact age he was when he died. TONS of comfort. it's the one thing I cling to. I have stuffed lion/lambs around me to help us remember that wonderful world tomorrow when a lion shall dwell with the lamb and the little child shall lead them.

Isaiah 11:6-9 (Isa 11:6) The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

(Isa 11:7) And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

(Isa 11:8) And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.

(Isa 11:9) They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.
Not to hijack this into a religious thread, but I had to say that Isaiah has such beautiful passages, it's truly one of the most inspiring to me. While my loss wasn't full term, it was heartbreaking. Before my little Eli was born in August I was moved to surround him with lions & lambs, so that's what I did. It feels like peace when I hold him near them. Like you, I wait for the day when I will have my angel baby in my arms

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.