Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I haven't read it but I noticed it's listed in my latest Rosie Hippos (wooden toys, books, games) catalog. This makes me think it's probably OK.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have not read it. I know they have several books out...just wanted to say when we got out of the hospital with dd1 we stopped by my fave indie bookstore to buy some birth announcements and he was there doing a book signing...I didn't buy the book, but I've always wondered about it. I would check the reviews at amazon for a start.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are only 10 reviews.
One from someone who "Loves the book" but their son is only 10 WEEKS old.
One from someone who was offended because it is only about boys not girls.

Not real reviews helpful overall.

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I read the book (I think it's the same one) and it is definitely AP friendly, it seemed as though the authors raised their son in AP style. It is interesting because they talk about how traditional societies raised boys, where they are continually with their mothers until around the age of 9 - 12, at which point they are immersed, sometimes quite drastically in the adult male world. It was kind of alarming for me to read because my son is 5 and it stresses the need for strong male role models for boys as they grow and "cross the bridge" into becoming men, and that at that point the need for their mother is kind of eliminated because they should have already internalized the nurturing feminine qualities from us. I felt sad thinking about being replaced in importance for my ds! But at the same time it was comforting because it talks about the role of testosterone and how this affects boy behavior and how in traditional societies aggression and physical competitiveness helped societies survive, and how boys really need men with well balanced nurturing/assertive natures to help them find their way to becoming men. I thought it was an interesting book, gave me a lot to think about, it wasn't great and I didn't agree with everything the authors said, but I would recommend it.

Happy Homeschooling Mama to 5 year old ds, 2 year old dd, 5 month old dd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.