Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,937 Posts
I say run too… I don't think the diversity thing is necessarily true in situations like this either. Isn't diversity supposed to be a positive, enriching thing in one's life? Putting up with others who disrespect their children isn't a good example of positive diversity, in my mind anyway. If that is diversity than I'd rather not have it.

I don't need to agree with people that I like on everything and I can tolerate even embrace many differences, but…. The way a person treats a child is a deal breaker for me. I have no tolerance for people who mistreat their children. And yes, what I consider mistreatment others may not, but those are my feelings and I can not ignore them for the sake of understanding and getting along, You know?

· Registered
2,937 Posts
I agree with Captain Optimism.

Quote:
Vermillion - But is it true diversity if I approve of whatever I'm getting? I feel that diversity is not necessarily positive as is reflected in the world at large. I know ds is young, and I would never let him alone with this mom, but I think he's not too young to know that other moms do things differently. But I agree that the way a mom treats her kids is very important in determining compatibility. I suppose that is why I'm so torn.
Regarding diversity I definitely don't feel that you have to always only approve of what you're getting, there is just a line of what is acceptable and what is not for the sake of diversity. JMO.

Like, I am not really thrilled when I see other moms giving their children soda and chips every day for a snack. It isn't something I would do, but it isn't something that would make me like that person any less. I could deal with that.

Hitting (spanking), withholding food, shaming, etc. Things like that I DO consider to be abuse. Some may disagree but that's ok. So, yes, technically by exposing your kids to this it is diversity, something different than yourself/family, but is it worth a lesson in diversity to be exposed to violence and/or abuse? I don't think so, but that's just me.

I don't think my child needs to be exposed to that sort of thing to learn any kind of lesson. I would rather treat him well and have him exposed to others who treat kids well and I'll take my chances that he will learn better that way. He can see crap like that when he gets older, it will be inevitable at some point, but for now while he is little I see nothing valuable about exposing him to violence and abuse towards children.

JMO!

· Registered
2,937 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarihah
Did the OP's son witness this two year old being sent to bed without any dinner? I got the impression that the OP was told that this had happened, without being present at the time that it occurred.

Perhaps her child didn't witness this one particular event, but he is likely to witness other negative things from people who have no problems treating kids with such disrespect, such as-

From OP-

Quote:
In fact, I once confronted this particular mom because she was yelling at my ds.
Sariah-

Quote:
If you decide to eschew contact with people who parent in ways that you are strongly opposed to, whether or not you are present when these parents do things that you know are wrong, what's left for you?
Way less stress and lower blood pressure for starters!

Quote:
But these people have other aspects to their beings, they aren't ONLY these negative characteristics and traits.
Maybe so, but sometimes the negatives far outweigh any positives. Abuse and mistreatment towards children is definately a perfect example of "not worth the good stuff" in my book.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.