Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,120 Posts
I completely agree with the no giving food scenario being entirely inappropriate and a violation to the childs well being. However I would try to stay in the group, I know it may be hard sitting there and not interveening but just you being there and showing them that there is a better way to handle things is important. They may not "get it" the first time or the 50th time, but eventually if you stick it through and stay consistant and let them know you are willing to help them change, one or two may come around. Maybe instead of phrasing things like, "I do the disciplining" Oops just realized she was talking to YOUR child sorry, but maybe when you see something starting suggest, "I had a similar problem with ____ I found the best way to handle was to _______." That might let them know you can relate to them and your able to bring up an alternative discipline. HTH.

· Registered
6,120 Posts
I also think that staying around and sticking through it you are teaching your child a valuable lesson. That hey not everyone is like us. You are exposing them to an entire differently group of women and contrasting ideas. You are showing your child how some not so nice mommies may parent and how you yourself are helping them to change. You are also teaching them not to run away from something that isn't familiar to them. I don't think your child will be scarred in any way emotionally but it gives he/she a chance to play and socialize with other children who they may not have so much in common with. This will help them make friends easier in the future. You are also teaching them that its ok to hang out with other people not necesarily like you. Especially if your child has already made friends with some of the other children it would be difficult to not let them play together because of the differences. Does all this ranting make sense? Didn't realize I got carried away. :LOL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.