Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am only posting this here, b/c I know you ladies and I value your opinions!

We took DS to his Ear Nose Throat doctor yesterday and the doc wants to put tubes in again, and take out his adenoids. He had tubes put in at a year old and they had come out a couple weeks ago. Before having the tubes placed we did EVERYTHING (waiting, natural meds, then antibiotics). When nothing worked and we noticed his balance was being affected, we did the tubes. He started crawling right away, and it helped him a lot.

The doctor said he normally doesn't jump this quickly to put tubes back in or remove adenoids, but with the family history (I'll get to that) he isn't comfortable waiting.

Here is the history; DH has SEVERE ear problems. He has had tubes since he was a very young child. As an adult he stopped going to the ENT for a year. We found a great ENT meanwhile and started seeing him. He wanted to take the tubes out of DH's ears and see if he could function on his own. We thought AWESOME! When they got in there they found a disease (cholesteatoma). It is BAD, and can even kill you if left untreated. The least is usually does is "eat" the bones in the middle ear and you lose your hearing. DH had it in both ears and did have "significant" hearing loss. Apparently these problems are/can be hereditary.

My (and DH's) issue is that we DO NOT want our son to have surgery. Especially not to remove his glands, we don't even know for sure they are a problem. I feel like DS *might* have allergies. We are trying to decide what to do. Our options are;

1. do the surgery (boo)
2. wait it out
3. treat him for allergies and see if that makes a difference
4. chiropractor
5. give him antibiotics and treat for allergies hoping something will work
6. any combo

I am not asking for any medical opinions. I am just curious as to what you think, and/or if it were YOUR child what you would do. Are there any natural things I can do to help this that maybe I haven't thought of? The doc wanted to schedule the surgery right away, but I said NO. I feel like though, if we wait and something bad happens to his ears it will be our fault. kwim?

I guess I needed to just get this off my chest more than anything. Thanks for listening!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,490 Posts
wow- I'm not in your birth club, but wanted to lend an ear.
s
I am an avid supporter of chiropractic work personally.
if it were my kid- I would be hammering every doc involved for explanations, research, facts and alll treatments possible to help my baby. I would become the biggest PITA for these guys until my baby was better.
I'll keep you in my thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,490 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top