Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the teenager went to the police a few months ago to report she was gang-raped by seven men, she never imagined the judge would punish her - and that she would be sentenced to more lashes than one of her alleged rapists received.

The story of the Girl of Qatif, as the alleged rape victim has been called by the media here, has triggered a rare debate about Saudi Arabia's legal system, in which judges have wide discretion in punishing a criminal, rules of evidence are shaky and sometimes no defense lawyers are present.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/.../saudi_justice

DESPICABLE.
:
:
:
:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Wow that's really bad. Good thing we're closely allied with them...

Also, I hate that kind of reporting. It takes something that could be a good, informative article and turns it into a stupid human-interest story:

Quote:
In the sleepy, Shiite village of al-Awwamiya on the outskirts of the eastern city of Qatif, the 19-year-old is struggling to forget the spring night that changed her life. An Associated Press reporter met her in a face-to-face interview. She spoke on condition of anonymity to protect her privacy; the AP does not identify rape victims unless they ask to be named.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes View Post
What info would you prefer they report? Simple curiosity here.

Er, yeah, that's quite stunningly heinous, in general, though.

That entire paragraph was a stupid waste of time. I would prefer they talked about what happened and the larger implications of it. I generally don't like journalism that "paints a picture." That's my biggest complaint about NPR as well. And of course "local news".

Anyway I may end up regretting that I'm taking away from the real point here. First, that's terrible for the girl. Second, what a screwed up society ("just different than ours; no better no worse").

·
Banned
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that this poor girl, and the poor young man who was also raped, are going to recieve lashes. That's so horrible, I don't know that I can process it.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that this poor girl, and the poor young man who was also raped, are going to recieve lashes. That's so horrible, I don't know that I can process it.

I can't either.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Quote:

I can't see bringing Bush into this. : /
The only way I can see bringing Bush into this, in my mind, is that he seems so concerned about changing horrible regimes but then want's to stay buddy buddy with other countries that seem no better. If he is really dead set on this human rights mission (democratizing the world), what about Saudi Arabia and Pakistan and the other middle eastern countries that are absolutely horrible to their people?

·
Banned
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mara View Post
The only way I can see bringing Bush into this, in my mind, is that he seems so concerned about changing horrible regimes but then want's to stay buddy buddy with other countries that seem no better. If he is really dead set on this human rights mission (democratizing the world), what about Saudi Arabia and Pakistan and the other middle eastern countries that are absolutely horrible to their people?
Yeah but we've been tight with the Saudis for fifty years. In light of that fact, it seems like an effort to deflect from the issue at hand to even bring Bush up.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Quote:

Yeah but we've been tight with the Saudis for fifty years. In light of that fact, it seems like an effort to deflect from the issue at hand to even bring Bush up.
True. But I think we are totally screwed up in the way we make and keep "friends" in that region. Oh they have been our friends for 50 years so we will just ignore the fact that they have outdated f-ed up laws and treatment towards women and minorities. It is not Bush's fault, and bringing him into it in that way serves no purpose. But since he has decided to act like he is this moral leader and is in Iraq for humanitarian reasons (one of his many excuses) it's hard not to think it ironic. Maybe that's not the word, but I can see how it might come to mind. But you are right, it can deflect form the issue. It just makes me so upset. I have felt for years we should be doing more about it. I mean we have this silly thing with Cuba (not Bush's fault, of course) but it makes no sense. No rhyme or reason. I think as a nation with such power it is our responsibility to not be friends with such evil people. I'll try not to bring Bush up again in this discussion. I am just really pissed at our country for supporting such evil violent nations. Grrr.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Quote:
I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that this poor girl, and the poor young man who was also raped, are going to recieve lashes. That's so horrible, I don't know that I can process it
This girl is lucky her story got out. My guess is hundreds of cases like this happen every year with no one ever hearing about it.

It is a backwards and "dark ages" type mentality.

Quote:
Since the Iraq war the situation&rights for Iraqi women and girls have gone worse and worse
What does this have to do with the girls and women who live under Saudi Arabia's legal system, which is often very oppressive and unfair?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Lets say Bush decided to boycott or make SA our enemies because of the desively outdated legal system of their county. How do you really think people would respond?

The fact is our economy and our society rely's on us buying their oil. Are we all willing to give up our way of life, to make a point to SA about how they treat women? I know this is extra simplified at the moment, but think about it. (more reason to use our own oil and to find substitutions for oil imo)

Personally I would like to see us cool relations with SA and China and ALL countries that don't live up our our legal standards of justice Any country that supports religious persecution or political persecution is not a country we should be involved in. That is my personal opinion, but far from the minds of most people.

We don't have to bring Bush into this one. These stories have been coming out of SA and other oppressive ME (and others) countries for years.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilary Briss View Post
I'm just happy to live in a country that would never persecute a rape victim, or tell them that it was their own fault. We are so much better than those nasty Saudis.

Please tell me you are joking.

Maybe not persecuted in the eyes of a court system, but by "friends" and police taking reports, yes a rape victim can be persecuted very much.

As for the OP. It makes me furious that she would be lashed like that. So many UA violations I have in regards to this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts