Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
OK, but what about gang rape?

I can just see this: a group of would-be rapists kidnap a young male and force him to rape the woman first, so he will be the only one affected by the device.

Or what about penetration with a foreign object? Anal/oral sex? This won't help at all. It's the men who need to change, not the women.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
I am not sure someone else would try it after the first guy runs away screaming with teeth attached to his bits.

But yes, it is a serious problem that needs to change.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoppyMama
I guess if it makes someone feel better.... I think I will take my chances and maintain a "free" vagina.
Oh, this isn't in the US but in South Africa where well...it is far more common.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
It's an interesting device but I would worry that a man would not just run away but stay and kill whoever " bit" him. Though that could be an issue anyway . I don't live in the country in question though and it may be that if I did I would jump at the chance to get this new defense.

" It is only when the rapist withdraws that he will realise the device is clamped around his penis." - so not so much a deterant but a" we will catch you" device? - I think there needs to be a way to have a name written on / etched in so that they could tell whos " teeth " they were ...

"He will have to be put under anaesthetic to have it removed. He will not be able to leave it as he will be unable to urinate." - now I know this is wrong but I think he should have it removed without - though I suppose that every once in a while a wife/ girlfriend / whathave you - coulld forget to take it out - hopefully only once, if ever.

"A woman would have to wear the device every day. "

·
Premium Member
24,385 Posts
The biggest problem I have with this device is this....

While in my mind, it isn't a whole lot different than carrying mace or a stun gun, those are distance weapons. You don't actually have to have someone's penis inside you to get them to work to deter a rapist. Fact of the matter is that this is still rape. it doesn't stop the rape, just shortens it.

It is a method to catch the person who did it...again focusing on the male part of the equation. It does nothing to keep the woman from being brutalized.

Better than nothing maybe. But someone is still gonna get hurt before it serves as a 'deterrent' to other men.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Personally I think it's great.

I don't understand saying that it's putting the emphasis on the wrong place, on the women to defend themselves rather than on the men to change their behavior. It's not an either-or proposition, we can do BOTH. Defend ourselves, while working on male attitudes that contribute to rape.

Granted as Adina pointed out that it does not stop the rape from taking place since it attaches after the fact, but if enough women wore the little buggers it could possibly be a deterrent and prevent some rapes from happening. I mean, think of how protective men are of their members. Maybe they could even make stickers like those you see on cars and houses "this house protected by XXX alarm system". We could just wear a sticker and wouldn't even have to wear the device

Also, if the police are able arrest more rapists because they have to go to the emergency room, that is a good thing and could lower the incidence of rape because more of the rapists are behind bars.

The only downside I see to it is what mermommy pointed out, that it could lead to more rape victims being murdered. Could they make the things so that they hurt badly enough to temporarily incapacitate the rapist?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It sounds like a good idea but I have concerns about the rapists violence after it happens as well. Plus I think it might deter some rapists for a while but then I think maybe they would start checking before they did anything and take it out first, then be really angry and the violence concern comes up again. I think the intentions are wonderful but I don't know if it would work the way they hope it will.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Blimey, R1 - that's so cheap! I was wondering whether this was basically a comfort device for the paranoid rich for when they have to come out from behind their electric fences, but that is such an accessible price.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by abimommy
Ya know..I just saw this at Fark and was thinking of posting it..

It's...it is...really scary

are you a farker! *Snickers* , My favorit shirt i own says "have you farked today?"

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I dunno, I think the main problem with this thing is that it's not fierce enough. I mean, doesn't notice until after he's pulled out? Has to go to the ER to get it removed? I think it should completely shred the offending member beyond possibility of repair.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
I like the device. And like someone else said, they can use the device while still working on men's awful attitudes.

And maybe this will be more effective for the drunken frat boy types, as opposed to the violent psycho types. Not that some aren't one and the same.

But this will never sell in the US. First time a guy gets his penis injured in one of these devices, never mind it was because he was raping a woman, he'll sue. He'll sue her and the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Childishgoth
are you a farker! *Snickers* , My favorit shirt i own says "have you farked today?"

They had me at the photoshops...:LOL Their headlines can instantly make a bad mood go away.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
So they will just skip the vagina and go right for the anus.

Also, I would be more worried of AIDs, since I could see an Item like this causing more blood. It reports on catching the seamen but if it causes blood even by accident you are still at risk for aids.

Also, I know when I have a feminine hygene product in I can forget about it. What happens if a woman "forgets" or if a lover suduces her and it is forgotten? I know I am pretty forgetful at 2 am.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Umm...anybody read Snow Crash?

This device would be good if it also injected some kind of fast-acting tranquilizer, imo.

It doesn't say whether it hurts or not, just that they'll notice it when they pull out. So, not a deterrent in the moment? Too bad for the woman wearing it!

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Quote:
But this will never sell in the US. First time a guy gets his penis injured in one of these devices, never mind it was because he was raping a woman, he'll sue. He'll sue her and the manufacturer.
Exactly.
He'll claim that the woman inserted the device and then seduced him just for fun.
Or he'll claim that he was nowhere near a woman and the thing just chased him down and bit him.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.