Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 month old dd and I'm still bf'ing. I'm not eating any differently than I ever have, but all of a sudden I'm losing weight - about a pound a day. Had thyroid checked - it's fine. I think I just had my first pp ovulation - could this be why? I don't really want to lose anymore weight but I'm not sure why it's happening....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
How long has been going on for? I think if you are feeling fine otherwise you should not be worried. I think your body knows what it's doing. But if you feel sick, or tired all the time and have been loosing weight for a while now - you should probably go to doctor.

·
Banned
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess a couple weeks now. After dd was born, I stabled out at 119, which is a pound less than what I was when I got pg with her. Stayed at 119 about six months, then all of a sudden a couple weeks ago, I started dropping about a pound every other day and now a pound a day. I'm down to 113. Haven't been this thin in years. My dh thinks it's because of first pp ovulation. Don't know. I feel fine - tons of energy. I'll keep an eye on it I guess.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I don't wanna scare you or compare the situations - my grandpa, who is now over 80 yo and already about 120lb, started to drop weight very rapidly about 4 months ago. He felt good, but my mom was worried and made him to go to doctor and he was diagnosed with stomach cancer. He already had one about 40 yeas ago and they took more then half of his stomach...but anyway, he is doing fine now, using lots of alternative remedies and totally changed his lifestyle.
But as I said -I am not trying to companre your situation, just trying to say "be careful" since you are already that thin. Perhaps your DH is right.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Same thing happened to me . . .

When DS was about 7 months old or so, I lost 15 lbs without trying in a matter of a few months. I went to the dr, but they couldn't find anything wrong. A year later, and I haven't gained a pound back. DS is still nursing about 4 times a day, and I don't know if that's it, but I guess it is just one of those things. It freaked me out, too.

If it continues, I'd go get checked out, at least for your peace of mind.

BTW, my name is Donna, too--maybe it is a Donna thing?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What's your diet like? Are you getting adequate protein and fats? Both are important when bfing. Maybe your eating needs to change a bit to accomodate your dd's needs as well as your own...just thoughts...

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The last time I saw a mama on here complaining about rapid and unexplained wt loss (25lbs in a month) I bit my tongue and didn't say anything for fear of scaring her. Wish I wouldn't have, now.

Rapid wt loss is not a good thing. If you are truly losing a lb a day then you will lose 30lbs this month and will be below 100lbs.

You need a physical right now. Well, maybe watch the weight loss for one more week just to be sure it isn't some sort of fluke, if you want.

Don't fool around with this. You can be very ill and still feel 'good'.

Take care of yourself!

lisa

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Diabetes can cause rapid weight loss. Even if you feel well, losing weight when you're eating properly is not normal. If you're sure that you're getting adequate calories (sometimes busy moms over-estimate what they eat) and the loss continues, please see a doctor!

·
Banned
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know, dh and I had a long talk last night and I realized that I'm not eating enough. This all started after Hurricane Isabel hit. It was EXTREMELY frightening and stressful - we had a ton of damage done. We were without power for nearly 9 days and I hardly ate anything during that time (couldn't cook, it was hot, and I was stressed out). Ever since, I've been dealing with contractors and the insurance company. We lost six gigantic trees (over 100 ft tall) and b/c of the huge root structure, they pulled up every other small tree, shrub and blade of grass we had. And since insurance companies don't pay for landscaping, dh and I have had to do it all ourselves - our house is on a huge slope, so we've had to quickly move 18 tons of top soil, lay mulch, replant grass and shurbs, and build seven retaining walls - all so our yard and house won't wash away - and we've done it all ourselves within three weeks. All this while keeping tabs on a 15 month old who's been nursing twice as much b/c it's all been so stressful. I think I've only been eating one meal a day and a small one at that. I just hadn't been giving much thought to what I ate since all this went down. But I think now my body is saying "Hey - remember me!?" And I never even realized the effect this hurricane had on me until our conversation last night. We've been in recovery mode - no time to think! That said, I'm still going to go to the doctor. But I'm feeling better about things - yesterday I forced myself to eat three meals, and I'm back up to 114 today. Thanks everyone who replied!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
First thing that came to my mind is hyperthyroidism. It's very common in women after giving birth. Other thyroid conditions pop up after pregnancy too. A friend of mine ad never been thin and began losing tons of weight after pregnancy. She just had a part of her parathyroid removed, is now on medication for the rest of her life, but her problem has been solved. Thyroid conditions are uncomfortable and can lead to other more serious problems but can easily bee managed. I'd check that out.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by teachma
A friend of mine ad never been thin and began losing tons of weight after pregnancy. She just had a part of her parathyroid removed, is now on medication for the rest of her life, but her problem has been solved.
You must be kidding me! They removed her parathyroid and she will be on medications for the rest of her life - but her problem has been SOLVED???

My mom has a tumor on her thyroid gland and she has been putting the surgery of for past 3 years, b/c she does not see surgery as part of solution. I am in shock sometimes about what people think is really good for them. I am trully sorry for your friend, b/c it's NO fun to be on medications for thyroid, for anything in that matter.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Weight loss can be a sign of an auto-immune problem.. About 2 years ago i started just losing weight.. I had my thyroid checked and checked and checked.. It was always fine.. It took me forever for me to find a dr who would listen to me.. It turns out that i have auto-immune problems.. My dr's will not diagnose it at this point for insurance reasons..

Definately keep at your dr's to help you find out what is going on..

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.