Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My DS is only 2 weeks old and has had two rashes already...and this current one is really bad.  We change him really often (whenever we feel he is wet).  We use prefolds and thirsties covers and some wool covers too.  I had a similar problem with my DD where the rash is around the legs and tried many many things...one of the only things that worked was putting fleece between the diaper and her skin so that the fleece stuck out of the diaper (hard to explain)-I wanted to avoid this because I want the natural fibers against the skin.  I used country save with her diapers but battled smell and so I'm trying Rockin Green detergent this time...but still no help.  If I only use a little bit, the diapers come out smelling bad, and if I use more...still smell, just not as bad.  I put lanolin on the rash as a barrier to the moisture and try to give him air time (a lot different with a boy, haha).  Are my kids just really sensitive to moisture?  My DD who is potty trained, STILL gets rashes (how does that happen)...so I make sure to wipe her instead of letting her do it herself.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Has anyone experienced this?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Should I strip the diapers again using the rockin green?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, unrelated is that I made cloth wipes this time with 100% cotton flannel, 2 layers and they don't seem to absorb the water (we use plain water).  And they aren't very good at wiping.  Should I make some new ones with terry on one side?  I couldnt find cotton velour at joanns.  I thought these would be softer than the cheapo baby washcloths I used with DD.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for any help you can offer!!</p>

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
<p>I would strip the diapers.  Maybe you are using the wrong kind of Rockin Green for your type of water?  They make it for Hard or soft water.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I used plain cornstarch on my dd after diaper changes to absorb moisture when we had some rashes and that helped her.</p>

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
<p>Can you describe the rash more?  Did you have abx during labor or did he?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We have used the same flannel wipes from fabric bought at JoAnn 18mos ago. It soaks up fine and they are just simple torn squares that we fold over and keep in a container with a homemade solution.  Since we put tea tree oil in the solution, it keeps mildew from growing and the batch I make lasts about a week.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts