Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a red, scaly, itchy, peeling rash under both breasts. This is a re-occuring thing and has been seen by two different docs over the past three years.

The first said it was a "fungus" and gave me an ointment called Mentax. The rash clears up while I'm using it, but comes back immediately.

The second told me to get jock itch ointment. This seems to have almost no effect at all on the rash.

So anybody have any ideas about what to try now? Do I have to get the darn thing cultured? I HATE going to the doc, so if I can do this on my own, I'd like to.

Thanks,

--Olive

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ok so I think I might be going through the same thing? Mine is all over my breasts,under my breasts, on my belly, and on my upper arms. My DOC told me it was yeast and proscribed a SMALL ass tube of Nystatin. Let's just say it didnt work. If you dont mind, could you send me a pic of you rash and I can see if it looks like mine--I have no advice b/c I am going thru the same thing right now? Have you recently had a dose of antibiotics, I did and I guess that is why they determined it was yeast? This is hte first time Ive ever broken out with a rash, I really hope it isnt a reaccuring thing.. Ugh..

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
You could try a baking soda bath; I used to use this on my kids when they'd occasionally get a yeasty looking diaper rash, also on myself for those irritation yeast infections. Just dump a couple handfuls of soda into warm bathwater. Worked well for us.

Also, if the remedies you've tried aren't working DEFINITELY get it cultured; at least then you know what you're dealing with and can approach it directly rather than screwing around with the usual medical approach of "throw something at it and see if it works".

You might also try putting a layer or two of soft flannel or other soft cotton under your breasts; this is standard practice in the hospital where I work so that the two surfaces aren't rubbing against each other and irritating things further. Depending on how you're built you may only be able to do this at night when you're lying down... wear cotton bras, if you have them. Good luck- yeast rashes are no fun for anyone!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I got this sort of rash when I was 8 months pregnant. It was a very persistent fungal infection that eventually developed a staph infection on top of it. I had to take an antibiotic for the staph infection and, because the topical anti-fungals weren't working, I had to take an oral anti-fungal for two weeks (it was called Sporonox, I think).

I totally understand why it would make you upset. After about three months of dealing with the itchy, painful, gross-looking mess I was having daily (at least) crying jags because I just couldn't take it anymore (plus, it was totally freaking me out nursing with it...especially the staph). The oral anti-fungal was my saviour. It started working almost right away.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Yes, ask your dr to culture it. I just re-read the earlier comments you made; have you taken any probiotics since you had the antibiotics? Getting your system back in balance should help you recover, as well.. If you haven't been getting any 'dopholus get right on that.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I've had good luck with over the counter athlete's foot creams - I apply it a few times a day and top with some powder like gold bond. Be sure you're wearing breathable fabrics and all-cotton bras.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just got some more probiotics and grapefuirt seed extract. I am also going back to my DOC on wed for a physical so I'll get her to check it out. I really wnat this GONE!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just a thought - I have a similar sounding rash under my boobs, it is psoriasis. I already have it on my knees and elbows but it has spread there for some reason.. The Dr gave me an ointment but it had no effect hence I can't remember what it's called off hand.

·
Registered
320 Posts
my rash has gotten so bad -natrual remedies arent working-two different scripts of Nystatin arent working, I am probably going to have to go see a dermatologist..

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I would suspect yeast, if so you need to fight it hard: oral anti-fungal, topical, probiotic supplement, cut down as much as you can on sugars of all kins, especially refined ones.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoamama
I would suspect yeast, if so you need to fight it hard: oral anti-fungal, topical, probiotic supplement, cut down as much as you can on sugars of all kins, especially refined ones.
oh my rash is definatly yeast.. it just got out of control. I cut out sugars and breasds and meats, i also am taking probiotics, i had topical anti fungal, but havent had oral..

Also been using GSE ..nothing is helpin

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
I had this exact samet thing happen and it was itchy, ugly looking and horrible. The only thing that would clear it up was Lotrimin, anti-fungal stuff that I got at the pharmacy. I tried every natural thing under the sun. Also, I had to make sure that I wore an all cotton bra that provided enough lift so that under my breasts was getting plenty of air (I have large breasts). Once I got the initial rash cleared and changed my bras, I have not had a problem since

·
Registered
320 Posts
i caved and got diflucan.. I couldnt take it anymore.. I tried my hardest to stay away from the RX's but i couldnt.. oh well. its clreaning up nicely now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts