Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>This my first child. I'm due 2/17/11 so I have a bit of time change up my stash if need be. So far I have:</p>
<p>29 prefolds infant (not newborn)</p>
<p>4 newborn gmd workhorses</p>
<p>6 small gmd workhorses</p>
<p>1 small wool cover</p>
<p>3 prowrap newborn</p>
<p>2 prowraps small</p>
<p>3 duo thirsties small size</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Should I get a few more fitteds or prefolds? I do not want to do laundry every day! Do I really need infant prefolds? Babies on my side of the family run very large, 8lbs being on small side. Should I get a few aio for going out? I live in Hawaii so getting cloth diapers is bit tricky. Shipping is always pretty expensive, the only cloth diaper store on this island is really expensive (think $18 for kissaluv 0s) and the pickings on craigs list are very slim. Thanks for your help!</p>

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I think that's looking pretty good! I would want to have a few more nb and small size pul covers. Ideally I like to have 8-10 covers in each size, but 6 would be my absolute minimum and even then you might find yourself having to wash one out by hand before wash day. A lot of it depends on how often and messy your baby poops and how often you want to wash. I've had this widely vary from one baby to the next. Some of mine have been good with only 6 covers, and others have blown through all 10 before wash day. I'd rather be prepared than have to wash out by hand during those early days!<br><br>
I think you're pretty good on diapers if you can wash every other day, though it might be nice to have another 6-12 to help you stretch between wash times. You should be just fine with skipping the nb size prefolds and going straight to infants. My babies have weighed between 8-2 and 9-2 at birth and have all fit into the infant pfs just fine. You do have to fold it down a bit in the back or front, but it's easy to do.<br><br>
An alternative to pricey AIOs for going out is to trifold a prefold into a cover and have it ready to go in the diaper bag. The only downside is if baby has a poop it will probably get on the cover, but I've never had it leak onto the clothing doing that. You would definitely want a few extra velcro wraps if you opt for that, but that's a lot cheaper than an AIO. Or, another option would be to get a few BumGenius Onesize pockets. I'm not a huge fan of pockets, but I do like these pretty well for an "easy" option diaper for the diaperbag or sitters. They snap down and fit bigger nbs pretty good, and even though they're more expensive than pfs you can use them till potty-training so it's not so bad. I would definitely not get "nb" or even "small" sized fancy diapers. They just get outgrown too quickly to make it worth it, imo. Now, once baby is into mediums I might be more likely to splurge for a really good night-time fitted or a nice AIO, because most of mine have stayed in mediums for a good 1-2 years.<br><br>
Have you tried looking on here or on diaperswappers.com for gently used nb covers or diapers? There are lots of moms willing to ship to Hawaii, and a lot of times used nb stuff is in great shape since it doesn't get used for a long time.<br><br>
HTHs a little!

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I think that stash should work just fine. I usually have 4 PUL covers and just rinse them off if needed between wash days. I don't find that AIOs or newborn prefolds are necessary or a good use of money. You probably do need a few doublers for night time.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
<p>Looks very similar to my nb stash!   And it worked really well for us, only doing laundry every 3rd day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had 2.5 doz infant prefolds, 4 Thirsties Duo size 1s, 3 momma-made fleece soakers, and 4 bamboo doublers.  That's it.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have since added a few more covers, but it has worked very well for us for the first 3 months.  I kinda wish I had a couple fitteds but definitely have survived without.  Not once have I felt the need for AIOs.  I just toss a wetbag, a couple prefolds, and an extra cover in my bag.</p>

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
<p>Looks good to me...I think you should be fine.  We used kissaluv 0's for the first few months and i loved them, but in retrospect, prefolds would have been fine.  i would never pay $18/diaper for them!!! :)</p>

·
Registered
668 Posts
<p>I have a 5.5 week old.  We sposied for the first 2 weeks - DS is small with skinny legs and the NB BSWW didn't fit at that time.  I had some WAHM fleece covers that would've worked but I didn't realize they'd be small enough and didn't try them right away.  So once we started CDing at 2 weeks, I had 2 dozen infant orange-edge GMD prefolds, 2 BSWW with aplix, 2 BSWW with snaps, 1 prowraps cover, 1 swaddlebees fleece cover, and 2 WAHM fleece covers.  That means 7 NB covers total, however he's outgrown the WAHM fleece already and the BSWW with snaps are difficult to use cause he's so wiggly.  So I'm really only using the 4 of the covers. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>When we were trifolding the prefolds in the cover, the covers got poo on them often so 4 wasn't enough and 7 covers only got us through about a day and a half, but now that I'm using a snappi every time, 4 covers is plenty.  In fact, yesterday he wore 1 cover all day without getting any poo on it. I think how many covers you need depends on how well you can get your prefold or fitted to fit and avoid blow-outs.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think your stash sounds great for now.  I know you said it's difficult to get diapers, but wouldn't you rather go to the trouble to get them ONLY if you end up needing them?  You really can't know what is going to work for you ahead of time.  In my case, I thought I would prefer the snaps, but my little guy is wiggly and I can't seem to get a good fit with snaps.  I also thought I'd hate the fleece since they are so poofy, but I really loved that I could get them tight around the legs without feeling like I was hurting him.  I also worried that the fleece would leak, but I guess I change him often enough that he isn't able to soak through it.  I only bought the fleece covers cause they were a steal, thinking they'd be back up and I ended up really loving them. Another thing is that I got the Bummis cause I'd read good reviews, but the cheaper prowrap I picked up at a consignment sale actually fits my DS better. I do wish that I had some AIO or pockets that fit him now, but I really don't want to spend the extra money to get them since he is growing quickly and I have tons of pockets that should fit in a month or so.  If you can get a good deal on them, go for it.  In fact, if you think your babe will be large, some small (not newborn) or maybe even one-size AIOs or pockets would maybe fit right awayand could be worn for months.</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts