Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So, I went out to happily dump my daily stuff into the composter and, blech, those pesky little varmints were eating away. Gross! Anyone else had this problem? Dh took care of them (I did not ask) and we are trying to revise our system. Currently we have a large totally enclosed composter that we can turn. ( no rats here). We also have one that sits on the ground. We use the one on the ground to load daily and use the turning one to make into useable compost and empty periodically. If we only use one, we can't remove compost to use as we are always adding new stuff. If we use the system we are using now we will probably get rats again. We only do our organic matter, no fats, proteins, etc. I know this is not an uncommon problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
try human hair..

I know it sounds weird but it works..when I used to work as a hair stylist people would every once in a while come in to the salon and request hair clippings to take home..I have heard of people (snowbirds mainly that come to AZ) using it with sucess to keep packrats out of thier cars that are not used for most of the year. you can just stick it in a sock and tie it on to the compost somehow or put the clippings around it and it should work..HTH!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts