Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have raw butter, two fat bricks of it. we are eating one, but won't finish it. We are going camping and do not want the second brick to go bad. How long does raw cow butter last before it tastes yucky. Also if we freeze it, it will probably denature some of the good enzymes but I may do it as a last resort. Someone please let me know how long raw, cow butter lasts in the fridge. I am hoping it lasts a while. Also if anyone has any suggestions of how to store it such as in a tub, bag etc. thanks!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My raw butter comes to me frozen from the Amish farmer. I think it's ok to freeze it. However, I think it stays fresh in the fridge for quite some time. How long are you going to be away?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Is it salted? Salted butter lasts longer. I've had raw, unsalted butter go moldy in the refrigerator, I don't remember how long it took but it was over a month. It will start to taste funky long before pasteurized butter. If I was going away, I'd definitely freeze it. I've read (re: raw dairy) that freezing slows down the enzymes but that most will "wake up" when thawed.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we are going to be gone only a week so it sounds like the butter will be fine. we will hopefully eat it before a month! thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts