Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion is this OK to give to a 10 month old. My dh gave my 10 month a fat raw carrot. She scrapped small pieces off with her teeth and really liked it. I watched her very carefully and she was only scrapping very small pieces. Do you think it is safe to give again? Everytime she sees a carrot she gets really excited.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I gave them to my kids around that age! But, eating was always a supervised activity. I wouldn't let kids crawl or toddle around with crunchy, chokable foods in their hands. Raw carrots have to be eaten sitting at a table- either on my lap, or in the highchair, or later sitting at a kid's table.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I did, and put a stop to it very quickly when she started biting off little bits and started gaging/chocking on them. She was always supervised but chocking is very scary and so not worth it. It won't be long before she can crunch away, why not hold off a bit longer?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would "shave" raw carrots to give to my little ones at this age........you just never know when they can bite of a chunk big enough to choke on. You could also try one of the mesh bags to put carrots and apples in.....they can chew, chew, and chew on those things and you don't have to worry about them choking!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have been giving my LO raw carrot since he was 6 months old it's a great teething aid and he is 11 months now and still only bits off chunks that he can handle. I think it's safe as long as you supervise.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think raw carrots are fine. I think you just need to pay attention to how you slice it to make it less of a choking hazzard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts