Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird question, and a bit graphic, so please forgive me in advance.

My DS (who turned 4 end of June) LOVES raw cashews, and we eat a variety of raw nuts/seeds in our diet. He doesn't eat a huge portion, but even if he has more than just a few, he gets an orange oily-like discharge from his bottom within a day or so. It comes out if he passes gas but ususally hours before having a bm. He said it doesn't hurt him at all. I guess it's just inconvenient/messy - and probably unsanitary as it will go through his shorts to the couch, chair, etc.

Has anyone every heard of this? I hate to cut them out of his diet completely (he loves them) but I want to make sure he's safe. TIA!

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
Does he eat peanuts? Does it happen then? Unless you are going way out of your way to get them cashews aren't raw. They are cooked out of their shells-if they are labeled raw it just means unroasted unless you are getting them from a raw food store like Natures First Law or Eat Raw etc. Anyway, the point is that there could be a high amount of aflatoxins or aspergillus mold. Cashew and peanuts are both very moldy. If he has an allergy to the mold (very common) he could react to the cashews. He could also have an allergy, but it's more likely the mold issue.

·
Registered
429 Posts
This happens to my DD too! I have no explanation, took her to the doctor, who has no idea either (big surprise), so we've cut them out of her diet. She loves cashews too, but was so freaked out by the discharge that she's happy not to eat them. No other nut or food does this to her, but cashews, every time. That discharge is so nasty . . . it smells so horrible and won't wash out of clothes either. If you ever figure out why our DCs can't digest these, please let me know!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.