Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone do a raw diet with their cats? We are thinking about it, but don't know where to start. We were hoping it would be a little cheaper. Also seems as though the bowels are better with it too, which would be VERY nice
I have seen a few threads regarding dogs and raw diets, but didn't know if it was the same or different for cats.

Julie

·
Registered
808 Posts
We did raw diets for our cats until we moved - it was wonderful! and I wish I could do it again!

Their coats were nicer, no shedding, their poo smelled nice (I know!) and they seemed happier...

They make like these prepackaged things..not processed..but its fresh and already got the added things in it. Or if you live close to a farm or what not you can make your own. We were told, and did, alternate the raw food with a grain free dry food - every other day.

Man I wish we could still do it!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I was also looking into this. Found a yahoo group for raw feeding and a good linke:

http://www.rawfedcats.org/benefits.htm

I switched my boys from dry to dry & canned and then to EVO canned, and both of them have silkier coats and the cat box is much less smelly. I'm guessing they would be even healthier on a raw diet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We feed our dog and cats Natures Variety. They're a convenient size and easy for us to store. It took me a couple weeks to convince 1 of my 2 cats to eat the raw medallions (cut into little pieces by me) so I eased them into by mixing the raw meat in with the Instinct crunchy food. Everyone is now 100% raw and doing really well. Fur is shiny and healthy looking. Dry skin is a thing of the past. They all put off a 'healthy aura" They all looked fine before, there's a difference in them now that's hard to explain.
At the pet supply store we go to the food is priced differently depending on what meat it is. The rabbit is more expensive than the chicken. We like to rotate. On average it costs us $17. every 2 and a half weeks to feed 3 7ish pound pets.
Also, as a pp mentioned, the litter box is no longer a feared and hated chore requiring hazmat gear (One of my cats could funk up the whole house with a single deposit, gah)
:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.