Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be as simple as:

I am writing to you to ask you to support HB 1010. Maryland citizens should be able to choose fresh, unprocessed milk from a local Maryland farm.
Thank you for considering this issue.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I just emailed our delegate Jeannie Haddaway (b/c I recently met her at a party, maybe she'll be more amenable). I used your basic note for our plea - that made it so easy. Thanks!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wrote to my Talbot delegate, Jeannie Haddaway. She emailed me back to say that she introduced a similar bill this year that would allow farms in Maryland to produce cheese from raw milk. Apparently, right now they have to go to Pennsylvania to produce it and then they can bring it back to Maryland to sell it. Because of the health and food safety concerns, they are going to start with a small pilot program on a farm in Talbot County and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH) will be involved to conduct testing along the way. Chapel's Country Creamery in Easton will be the cheese producer participating. (This cheese is sold at the Easton Farmer's Market, by the way, among a few other spots in Easton. It is yummy. You can sample at the market)

However, Jeannie said that oversight from the Health Department seems to be the only thing missing from the raw milk bill that is holding the committee back from supporting it. She said they are working on it, but since it's getting close to the end of session, she is worried that the bill will not get passed this year.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
bummer! I might be moving to Maryland this summer - right now I am so spoiled and have access to raw milk at two farms only one hour from me...but if I move to Maryland I'll gladly join the fight to make it legal there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.