Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And also, please remind me of the formula for how many pounds to feed them.
: I'm not sure what his adult weight will be. The guess is somewhere between 50 & 70 lbs. He's 14 weeks right now and 30 lbs. I feed him three chicken quarters a day. They do say on the package "young chicken"... not sure if that makes a difference. TIA.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I feed 3x until about, oh, four months old. Sometimes as much as six--I want them to be able to hold weight. Danes can lose condition in as little as 12 hours when they're growing, so you need to feed often.

Most puppies start to leave lunch untouched at some point when their metabolism slows; if not, and you want to move him to twice, try putting breakfast and lunch together in the morning and see if he's happy till dinner. He probably will be just fine.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And what amount should I feed him at four months? I forget what the formula was for dog weight/food weight.

I wanted to add that he is a ravenous eater. He's like a goat. He'd eat all day long if he could. So, I think I'll just do it by age than when he starts eating less...I don't see it ever happening.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
The general rule is to begin with 2-3% of the expected adult weight per day, and then adjust from there. So he'd be getting 1-2 lb of food per day until you understood his metabolism. But NEVER put measurements over the shape of the dog. If he's skinny on 2 lb, feed more. If he's getting pudgy on 1 lb, feed less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts