Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I take vit B-6 for mine. Its harder to keep under control now that the weather is cold. I was down to 50mg a day, and am back up to 200mg with still some symptoms.<br><br>
I take a warm shower in the morning, and turn the heat on while I'm in there. That way, the house is warm when I get out. I'm looking into getting some wool breastpads. I hear Lana makes some nice ones. Keeping warm is crucial. I no longer drink my water with ice.<br><br>
If she can make it through the winter, it should be easy to keep under control in the warmer months. Mid summer, I didn't need to take any B-6.<br><br>
Her situation may be different if she has the full blown Raynaud's disease that effects all her extrimities. Mine is soley related to bfing.<br><br>
Tell her not to, under any circumstances, get in a swimming pool unless it is *well* heated. I experienced some of the worst pain of my life after getting in a cold swimming pool this summer.<br><br>
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. If I think of other tips, I'll be sure to come back and post them.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
make her a couple of boob sized rice pillows to warm up in the microwave.<br>
Reynaud's is often associated with elevated estrogen levels. Don't scare her, but tell her to be extra careful about supply, not to do anything that might make her supply worse, because it may be harder for her to overcome than for most breastfeeding mothers. I found my nipple pain from Reynaud's was only bad when my baby was comfort nursing or when I had no milk. Luckily, my 2nd DD never learned to nurse non-nutritively, and I have not had any supply problems since her birth, and the only time I have that blanching and pain is if I get too cold or for some reason, if I lay or if my baby lays on top of my right boob all night.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I had bad pain at first, mostly related to cold..like coming out of the shower into a cold room...ooohhh, the pain.....warmth always helped..I would find myself in the middle of my office with my hands on my boobs rubbing them to get them warm!! LOL!! If it helps..my pain went away months ago...it was around for the first few months, but as i sit here now, I'm realizing it has been a long time since I've had a Rey attack.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I think it is Jack Newman that recommends nitroglycerine paste. It causes flushing of blood to the tissue relieving the Reynauds and is not absorbed orally, so it doesn't cause a problem for the baby if it gets some in its mouth. Look in his bf'ing book - I'm pretty sure I read about it there.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
At least she knows about the Raynaud's - I was in severe pain for several months before figuring it out.<br><br>
My naturopath recommended the B-6 and it worked well for me. I was almost desperate enough to try the nifedipine, but my blood pressure is normally too low to give that a whirl.<br><br>
I was literally in excruciating pain during every nursing for the first 4 months. When the breasts were empty or the non-nutritive sucking, well that was absolutely horrible!<br><br>
Between the B6 and my ever-present warmed-up rice socks, plus the fact that I got DS used to nursing cuddled up under blankets, I was finally able to get past the severe pain and have a somewhat enjoyable nursing relationship.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts