Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm getting to the point that so much has happend today that my brain is starting to leak out my left ear.

I found some information about RDI (relationship development intervention) But with my mental state it's all in one ear and out the other.

Does anyone here use it witheir DC? Could you tell me how effective it is/was? Is there a good book or two you can recomend for further reading? Do you use sensory therapies as well and do the two therapies work well together?

Basically my train of thought is that the OT therapies for the sensory end of things seemed to help Dd a lot with the sensory issues but it didn't help with everything (thus our thought that hey there's most likely more then just sensory issues going on with DD). The sensory work did cut down on some of Dd1' frustration, lashing out and fits, but, there seemed to be other factors that would still trigger problems out side of the sensory range. So we are trying to figure out how to work with those.

TIA

·
Registered
832 Posts
This stuff makes my head spin too - I can't even begin to tell you the difference between RDI, Floortime and DIR!

There is a guy on Youtube who makes videos of he and his child doing RDI exercises - that might be a good way to get an idea of it. On youtube search for philcommando.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I began RDI with my son this past summer. I did floor time prior to that. I think RDI probably is the best/most comprehensive intervention personally but you really do need a consultant. Solving the relationship puzzle might be the best book but it is sort of out of date/I haven't read it--the youtube videos are a good idea! I also used their website (videos, chats) to get a sense of it but it wasn't until we got a consultant that I really got it. I'm not sure if the site's videos and chats are up right now. We've seen amazing changes already and I feel really good about this intervention. It is hard to wrap your brain around though at first. I'll answer questions if you like, just pm or email me!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
We've been an RDI family for about a year and a half. RDI has a lot of "lifestyle" activities, so sensory stuff can be wrapped up nicely with the RDI exercises. We see an RDI consultant about once a month, he regularly evaluates DS and recommends activites at his developmental level. DH jokes that most autism therapies seek to change the behavior of the child, while RDI completely reworks the PARENTS' behavior to better support the child's natural development. Here's an essay I wrote on our experience w/play therapy, so you'll see what I mean by lifestyle activities. We started out with Floortime (Floortime is another name for the DIR method developed by dr. Stanley Greenspan), but found that it was not addressing DS's specific issues.

DH and I believe strongly in the RDI model. I recommend the RDI DVD, "Going to the Heart of Autism" and the book "Relationship Development Intervention With Young Children" by Drs. Gutstein and Sheely. You can pm me anytime to talk about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts