Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the title make sense? we are avoiding wheat, dairy, gluten, corn, garlic and some random veggies. DD, DS and i all had some pizza over the last weekend and DS and DD are still reacting to it. DD rash is much, much worse then it's been in the past. it's spread from her neck to her belly, leg and thigh. am i right in this thought process that since our bodies were healing and then exposed, our reactions are much worse? we're more sensitive to it? the only other thing i can think of is the eggs that we have almost daily. DD has never had a problem with them in the past but maybe she's becoming more sensitive to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
If you have been avoiding your allergens for some time, and then allow your body to be exposed to them(or many of them in this case), you can expect a stronger allergic response.

The theory is that when you were consuming the allergens before you finally figured out you were allergic, your immune system was probably run down and weakly reacting to the allergens. When you avoid the allergens, your immune system has a chance to get stronger and if/when you are exposed, your reaction is likely to be stronger.

Now, if it was just one of the allergens, in my experience, it's not quite as bad as when it is multiple allergens(as in the pizza--wheat, garlic, nightshades, dairy...)...

From reading other people's experiences on various boards, if you continue to avoid the known allergens, you often 'outgrow' the being even more sensitive part...but it likely depends on how full your 'bucket' is, too.

I'd definitely say the pizza was the culprit. Why suspect something new when you know you have eaten known allergens?

FWIW, if I eat something I am allergic to, it usually takes me about 3 days to get back to feeling normal again. I'm sure it varies with the person.

Hope you guys are feeling better soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,747 Posts
My DD2 is still reacting to the jelly beans and m&ms she stole last Thursday, so it can take a week or more to overcome a reaction, especially with multiple allergens like that. Don't look for more culprits yet, or as my grandmother would say, don't borrow trouble!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,109 Posts
We have definitely had increased sensitivity for a time after pulling foods initially. Then, eventually, it gets better... and sometimes goes away completely.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top