Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about done with a pair of Aid for Orphans baby overalls, http://www.aidfororphans.org/sew.htm , and I keep thinking about how easily flannel rips. I hate sending these if they're just going to rip after a few months. I mean.. I'll still send them but is there a way to re-inforce flannel?

I had a pair of flannel pajama pants and eventually the bum seam came apart! lol Hate that!

Also it says you can make these out of heavy cotton if you don't want to use flannel, any clue what that would be referred to at JoAnn's?

And as soon as I finish them I'll post a picture for fun!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hmm.. the only thing I can think of is to serge it and then fold the serging to one side and topstitch over it in the bum area... sort of a mock french seam. I'm sure they do quick repairs all the time. I can't think of any other heavy duty fabric that would still be comfortable for little ones besides flannel. Maybe a brushed denim would work. Or, hemp.. but that gets expensive very quickly. One that I think would wear longer than flannel and be more comfortable would be a stretch twill (they don't stretch a lot, but when it comes it kids cloths, a little goes a long way).. it's almost like a denim but with some lycra in it and they are usually very soft. I'll bet a stretch denim would work too. But, again, that gets into more money. Seems like they'd last a long long time though.

You must sew all day every day!

Amber

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Jenn,

Just make sure you buy heavyweight quilting flannel and you should be fine. There are a LOT of flimsy flannelettes out there that tear with very little wash/wear time. Oh, and I second the advice to use French or mock French seams. Make seams not only stronger but softer as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.