Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if we could do some more appropriate educating with signs, if if businesses with nursing rooms/fitting rooms would cooperate?

"What you should know: Breastfeeding is welcome anywhere in our store you are otherwise permitted to be, as per State Law xyz [if applicable], but feel free to enjoy our Mother's Lounge if you choose."

It's kind of half-assed, but I've been playing with the terminology (skipping a 'thank you for doing the best for your child', impractical- no stores would risk offending ff'ers- trying to not make it sound like 'surely you would be more comfortable in private'- short & sweet, informative, letting mothers know their rights, letting STORES know mother's rights...)

Should we campaign for mandatory legislation of such a thing? I'd say voluntarily make some up & distribute them locally, but it just takes one asshat manager that's ignorant or defensive of not nursing, & a whole store full of shopping mamas might remain uncomfortable & unknowing of their rights.

I swear, I wish we had a better state law (18 months, that's TN, right? Or was it 12? Arghhh. I've been writing letters to my congresspeople for a decade for THAT cesspit of a law, for people to toss every nursing mama of a biggish two yr old out on their ears & claim the law supports them); I'd make copies & distribute them EVERYWHERE, in ten languages.

Just brainstorming, anyway. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

No comments? I thought the Kansas sign (of the singing breasts
) post might spur creative juices here...

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I think it's a good idea, and I want to see this singing breast sign.

I love the idea that some stores make a nursing room available, but you're right, nobody should be made to feel like it's mandatory to sit in there. Some people are shy about NIP, and some people just have easily distracted babies so they prefer the privacy. But many mothers prefer to latch a child on and continue browsing the store. I know I've done it.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
I definitely think that any store that has a breastfeeding room should have a big sign on it that says "Breastfeeding is welcome anywhere in our store, but feel free to enjoy our Mothers' Lounge if you choose."

However, I would leave out this part:

Quote:
as per State Law xyz
because that makes it sound like they're only saying it because the law MAKES them say it, and they don't really welcome it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts