Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear alot about children who are overly sensitive to noise, texture etc...but I haven't seen any posts regarding children that are undersensitive, and very loud, my 6 yr is very loud, claps, yells, performs, loud, outside the realm of normal. Has alot of trouble modulating sound. He is a mimick, often driven to copy the actions of others, or repeat them. He is extremely sensitive to any conversation or activity that is emotionally charged, like really excited, or really funny, or if someone is hurt, or arguing, he freaks,( screams, hits, yells) I usually just pull him aside, and try to talk to him to bring him down, this takes often physical force to move him out of the focus. Heis clearly out of control at this point and needs some help. He does things like will play out all of the actions of someone falling and getting hurt (this is becoming less and less as he gets older....or his expressive language improves) but still at times has to just act it out. When his Grandmother died, he needed to go through the motions of everything she did the last time he saw her. Even lay in her bed and pretend to be dead. We respected his need to do this, but I struggle to understand where it is coming from and what it is a sign of. The only thing I can really think of is that he has a deep need to feel things out physically, coupled with an expressive language delay. He does not always speak in full sentences, and describes things in a play it out, act it out sort of way. He is in the midst of testing right now through a public school. He is at a place where he should move on to the next Montessori 6-9 classroom, but he is not really there yet and I am struggling with what to do next. He is falls through the cracks a bit because the delays are not so severe, but enough for the school to question whether this is the right fit for the program. I am so frustrated, and worried, and not sure what to do next. He and I go to school every day together, I am the assistant in his Montessori classroom. I just did the training in NY this summer. I could use any advice or support from anyone with simialiar....Thanks. I enjoy reading through many posts and have found some very helpful information and links. So glad to see so many loving and caring families joining together to support one another.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
my son dx with mostly mild SID and a lot of your descriptions fit my son.<br>
yep, to mimic. yep to sounds. my son is both hyper-reactive and hypo-reactive to sounds...meaning sometimes he repells because the sound is too much and sometimes he mimics and makes his own louder voices/sounds than necessary because he needs the volume.<br>
you just never know when it will be one or the other with my son.<br><br>
and my son is always a curious communicator...meaning sometimes he will give longer sentances and more thoughtful descriptions and sometimes it is just a shorthand sentance which leaves some peers kind of going 'huh?".....(mom and dad too sometimes)<br><br>
OT helps a lot. Although, I will be honest sometimes he will just have an off day or week. sigh.<br><br>
have you read Out of Synch child? Get an eval from an OT and they can help you put together a sensory diet for you son.<br><br>
there are some things he can do to help soothe his energy.<br><br>
my son has a summer birthday and we are NOT starting K when he is 5. Gosh no. Son is very smart (maybe gifted) but we don't care, he just is not emotionally equip to move to K in the Fall so he will be repeating Pre-K. My whole thing is I worry more about high school then elementary anyway...so I need to know he is more emotionally ready before moving him along....<br><br>
anyway, I think an OT and a sensory diet would be very helpful....<br>
also, my son's moods have improved with Cod Liver Oil.... I like Carleson's (mercury free).<br><br>
good luck. I know how hard it can be...today I told a friend, "can someone else be his mother?"... yeah, just a hard day.<br>
sigh.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's amazing how helpful it is to hear someone with some of the same issues. I am working with Brain Gym, and he may not be ready for elementary. He is in a Montessori environment that has been loving and nurturing and helped with his behavior, especially with boundary issues. It took him a long time to recognize others boundaries, even his own. He is always a little out of sync. He used to see children playing (not so much now) and watch for a minute (usually as he is doing something else), and he will approach later and mimic what they were doing, complletely out of sync. It was very disruptive to others as often the other children had moved on. It took me a while to recognize what was happenning. I still see this behavior occassionally. If someone were not aware, it would just look like misbehavior or disrespectfullnees. He may stay in the primary environment next year even though he will turn 7 at the beginning of the year. This has caused me such concern until a friend really encouraged me to let him lead the way, and sometimes you forget, that it is not always on everybody elses timetable. He has his own time and I need to respect that.<br>
Someone suggested PACE and lindamood-bell programs. Have you tried any of these. I have been to a homeopath, and that has been very interesting. As much as he exhausts me and he does wear me out. He has such a beautiful spirit that I just don't want to crush. Sometimes we talk about what kinds of people must have very loud voices to do their work, and he seems to like this.....it helps me too. I think he has much to teach me. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
can't reply right now...as i'm doing some work. but I did want to say homeopoathy has been very helpful for us. we just switched remedies and had a bit of reaction but all in all the homeopathy has been fruitful.<br><br>
I hear there are some great homeopaths in ARizona btw.<br><br>
We also are doing craneal sacreal work with an Osteopath. Have you done that?<br><br>
more to come, gotta do some work or I'll miss my deadline!<br><br>
tracy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts