Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. i've never thought of this before, but i read a thread where it was mentioned: if my 2yo daughter just got done eating (which is all of the time) do i need to have her rinse her mouth out or wash my nipple before the newborn latches on. or is this only with highly allergenic foods (ie: peanut butter...) tia!
keri

·
Registered
215 Posts
Me neither!..

We do brush in the mornings and at night though..
or when DS's breath stinks..it gives me the ickies..and I send him off to brush his teeth
..well..with my help of course..
but it hadn't occurred to me..
I just always tried nursing the baby first then my toddler..
now it's however asks and gets it first!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The only time I've ever wiped off my breast between feedings is when my breast gets sticky from peanut butter/jelly, which has probably been twice in the 6+ years I've been nursing (or tandem nursing, or triandem nursing).

If allergies are an issue, I'd say yes to wiping after peanut butter, but other than that, I wouldn't see a reason.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
When DS was very small, and DD was sticky I'd ask her to wipe her mouth first, or something, but not most of the time. I guess if there was any actualy food (allergenic or not) I'd probably wipe it off--- but I'd wipe it off anywhere, not just my nipple :LOL

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
I am paranoid about allergies, but for the most part my son will only ask to nurse while he's eating if I forget to give him a cup of water
:. So, I ask if he's thirsty and he'll be happy with water.

I have washed his hands before nursing because they were sticky, and I will ask him to blow his nose if it's running because I don't like a boob full of snot, but other than that, I don't wipe anything between him and his sister.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.