Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of those of you who have had a transvaginal u/s, did you have any spotting afterward?

Had one yesterday, and I can't even call it spotting, or even staining, but I saw something on the tp. So, I used some tp to wipe up around my cervix and there was brownish blood. Obviously not fresh bleeding, but could this be from the u/s?

You might have read my other post and know that I am awaiting blood work results to know if I have a blighted ovum. And now I see this brown blood/discharge from around my cervix .... so, I'm wondering.

TIA,
Judi

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I can't say for sure. I had the ultrasound because I was already bleeding.

However, I would that it could definitely cause spotting. If it's brown and you're not cramping I wouldn't worry too much. However, I always call my mw when I spot. They can't do anything except give advice but it makes me feel better.

I hope everything turns out well.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I started with the same kind of spotting 2 weeks ago after my first ultrasound and it hasn't stopped.
: I had my last one a week ago and it continues. At first, the doc recommended bedrest for 4 days. I did that and it initially stopped, but as soon as I was up, it started again. Same as you describe.

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. It's really rough.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm only at 8 weeks but because of my age (37) I've already had two TV ultrasounds. The first time, the doctor told me to expect some brown spotting, since the wand may press against the cervix pretty hard. I didnt' get any, but from what she told me, that is a common occurance.

Yesterday's ultrasound picture of Specklet looks like a mean little old lady staring out of an oval window. Of course it wasn't really Speck's face, probably his/her whole body, but you can see anything you want in an ultrasound, just like clouds.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Yup, vaginal ultrasounds can cause spotting, as can any penetration (sexual intercourse, vaginal exams, etc). Not anything to be worried about under normal circumstances, although I can definitely understand your worry.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have heard that if a miscarriage is threatening that having an U/S can actually push it over into a miscarriage. So it might be best to avoid if spotting, just in case.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had my 1st vag. u/s last week Friday. I hadn't spotted for over 7 days , and I wasn't spotting before the u/s, but when I got home, and used the bathroom, there was pink on the tp when I wiped. There was enough of it that it was still there on the 3rd wipe. I didn't check the cervix for bleeding, I just laid down the rest of the day and It disappeared. Haven't had any since.
Tomorrow I have another u/s to determine if the sac is growing and if there is anything in it. (Last u/s the sac was tiny - since I was only just past 5weeks - and no yolk sac could be seen yet.) They are hoping to see a neural tube this time - and maybe even a heartbeat.

But yes, spotting is okay, as long as it doesn't get redder, more, or starts cramping a lot.
-Jodi

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Not yet, with this pg, but with my first. I had several transvaginal ultrasounds because of ovarian cysts, and every time, I spotted for a couple days afterwards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.