Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is mad about Ivy + Bean. She also likes the Sophie series by Dick King- Smith, and Beverly Cleary's "Ramona the Pest."

I'm hoping you can recommend other books she'd like. She really goes in for books featuring girls her own age or slightly older in realistic situations.

I was a bit put off by some of the language in the Ivy + Bean books we've read so far, but not horribly so.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have!

· Registered
4,949 Posts
lol I was just wondering about the same thing but for a 5 year old BOY!

Hoping someone will come along with some suggestions.

· Registered
3,224 Posts
We loved Charlotte's Web and The Wizard of Oz, but then DD started reading a bit herself, so she wants to read short books and not chapter books.

What about the other Ramona books? I seem to remember from my childhood that there were a bunch of them. I hear people talking about the Junie B Jones books a lot, too, but haven't read them, so I can't vouch for them.

Would she like historical fiction? What about The Little Princess or The Secret Garden?

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I've got five year old boy/girl twins so I think our books may be in yet a third category - stories that appeal to both!

We've had good luck with Roald Dahl books. I don't think they understand the entire story every time but they pay attention, mostly follow what's going on, and I figure they'll be good for reading again as they get older.

They liked the Ralph the Mouse books by Beverly Cleary. We read Alice in Wonderland - the language was really thick but they liked it.

Of course I'm drawing a blank on what else has gone well with both of them. I do try to work on comprehension with them because even as an adult, it's something I struggle with.

Looking forward to more ideas!

I looked on our shelf. Two that jumped out are Mr. Popper's Penguins and Stuart Little.

· Registered
55 Posts
My 5 yo DS loves the Judy Blume books (Fudge, etc) (I'm surprised by the INCREDIBLE similarities between Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary stories!!!)

Box Car children books are a huge hit (although deemed rather annoying by DH and I)

Don't like Junie B Jones. Have heard good things about Tree House mysteries.

· Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

We did read one short Roald Dahl book recently (The Fantastic Mr. Fox), which she loved. She couldn't get into the Magic Treehouse book we tried. The other Ramona books we've tried so far haven't been been quite "it" for her, but the library hasn't had all of them available.

I think part of what appeals to her about the Ivy + Bean books, aside from the characters, story, and modern setting, is that she can imagine being able to read them herself in the not too distant future.

I will check out some of the other suggestions!

· Registered
27,266 Posts
I was going to suggest King-Smith (who would, btw, be awesome for a boy too)

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede
Edward Eager's books which begin with Half Magic
Paddington and Olga de Polga by Michael Bond
SeeSaw Girl by Linda Sue Park
The Moffats by Eleanor Estes

A bit more advanced because they were written in and for a early 20th century audience, E. Nesbit.

For books that she'd enjoy and feel like she could read soon herself, Lauren Child's Charlie and Lola books are great.

· Registered
16,471 Posts
It's an older series, but still good: The Enchanted Wood, Up the Faraway Tree, and there's one more we have not read yet.

My 5 year old (just turned 6) LOVES those stories, and so did my oldest at that age. They are short chapters, full of imagination and lovable characters, and very gentle stories. The best part is they are the same books my dh was ready by his mother at that age.

· Registered
233 Posts
I'd recommend No Flying in the House by Betty Brock. The book is about 3yo Annabel and her guardian, a three inch tall talking dog named Gloria. Annabel must discover where her parents are and why is she the only one in her school who can kiss her elbow and why Gloria can't tell her anything about her past. My 5yo DD and I both really liked it.

· Registered
1,788 Posts
A much older series that I've started with my 5 and 7 yr olds that they just love is The Boxcar Children. I like that I don't have to worry about excessive attitude, etc. and they love the mysteries that aren't too scary.

· Premium Member
4,124 Posts
My 5yo is loving chapter books. He enjoys the Magic Treehouse books but I really can't imagine reading more, after getting through the first four. It was a chore for me, between the sentence fragments and the way each (shallow) story felt the same. Plus they only lasted 1 or 2 nights.

We read the three books in the My Father's Dragon series and LOVED them. I highly recommend those

My sister loved The Boxcar Children growing up - I never read them but will give them a try.

Thanks for this thread! Off to Amazon...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.