Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm looking for a homebirth midwife.  I used the Reading Birth and Women's Center with my last pregnancy 2+ years ago.  I am considering them again.  I'm wondering if there are other choices.  I'm also wondering what the birth center is like now that there are four midwives instead of 2.  Does anyone have a recent experience with them?  Have any comments on the two new midwives?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm also looking for doula recommendations.  Last pregnancy I had a great experience with Lasi Leavy and Danielle Malik.  I assume they are no longer working together.  Is Lasi still doing births?  Does she do them solo or with a new partner?  Any other recommendations for a birth doula?</p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
<p>firstly, excuse my poor typing... my son is sleeping on me and im typing with 1 hand!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had my son through the birth center 2.5 months ago. I had an ok experience. I definitely did not enjoy the one midwife at all however! I went overdue and had to be induced... long story short the 1 midwife made me feel like i wasnt in charge of my birth. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> Ill try to explain more later when i can type. In all, they were ok except the 1 midwife, but nothing spectacular.</p>

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
<p>I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I'll tell you all I know.  :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have no experience with the birth center.  I looked around for a homebirth midwife earlier this year. I miscarried and haven't been able to get pregnant since but if I ever do, I plan to use Kate from Rising Moon.  I was very impressed with her experience and knowledge and felt very comfortable with her at a birth. I didn't get a "she's the one!" feeling after I left though, but after talking to several people afterwards, that appears to be a common first impression.  Just not a warm fuzzy feeling at first but that the relationship builds during the course of care and by the end, they wouldn't have changed anything about having her as the midwife.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for Danielle and Lasi, I used them too for my dd's birth 2 1/2 years ago. Aren't they great? Last I heard (and this was almost a year ago), Lasi was taking a break and Danielle is studying to become a CPM herself.  She may pop in here to add more herself... I'm not sure when she is expected to be done or if she is doula-ing at all in the meantime or if she'd be able to be a midwife for you if she's done before you're due.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope that helped a little!  Good luck with your search!</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
469 Posts
<p>There's homebirth midwives up there I think, too.  You should email Danielle and ask her.  All the ones I know of are further south, but they might go to Reading - if you want names pm me  :)  Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Thanks for the info.  I'm still feeling very wishy washy about my choices.  I guess I need to actually make some calls and make some appointments and meet some midwives so that I can make a decision instead of it all being in my head.  Thanks for the warning about Kate and warm fuzzies, or the lack of warm fuzzies.</p>

·
Registered
87 Posts
<p>I know the 2 "new" midwives.  I think they are great.  One is newer to midwifery but not new to OB.  She is very nice and really knows her stuff.  The other "new" one is new to the practice.  She brings a lot to the table with her experience.  I really like the 2 new midwives as well as the 2 that have been there.</p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
<p>Jennifer McFarland is in Long Pond, PA.  She as five children and loads of life experience too.  <span class="skype_pnh_print_container">1 570.355.5177</span> <span class="skype_pnh_container" dir="ltr"><span class="skype_pnh_mark">begin_of_the_skype_highlighting</span> <span class="skype_pnh_highlighting_active_common" dir="ltr" title="Call this phone number in United States of America with Skype: +15703555177"><span class="skype_pnh_textarea_span"><span class="skype_pnh_text_span"><span class="skype_pnh_container" dir="ltr"><span class="skype_pnh_highlighting_inactive_common" dir="ltr" title="Call this phone number in United States of America with Skype: +15703555177"><span class="skype_pnh_dropart_span" title="Skype actions"><span class="skype_pnh_dropart_flag_span" style="background-position:-4499px 1px;">   </span>   </span><span class="skype_pnh_textarea_span"><span class="skype_pnh_text_span">  1 570.355.5177</span></span><span class="skype_pnh_right_span">     </span></span> <span class="skype_pnh_mark">end_of_the_skype_high</span></span></span></span></span></span></p>

·
Registered
469 Posts
<p>OK, I swear I posted this already but I don't see it showing up, so sorry if I double post!  Laura Cochran (<a href="http://www.sunrisemidwife.com" target="_blank">www.sunrisemidwife.com</a>) would probably go to Reading.  Her office is in DE, but she lives in PA and would probably meet you at her house if you ask.</p>

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
<p>I had my ds with the Reading Birth Center this past March.  I saw one of the "new" midwives frequently and met the newest one at my pp exam, and both seemed nice.  I have to say I wasn't overly thrilled with the midwife I ended up with though, I too had the feeling that I wasn't in charge of my birth like one of PP's, and while I have some lingering bad feelings about my homebirth mostly because of her (though I had no complications and my son was born at home, so I feel somewhat guilty complaining about it, it was not the experience I had hoped for in terms of feeling comfortable and in charge)  Slerch215, I wonder if we had the same midwife, PM me if you feel like discussing :)  Overall, I would not use them again.  I used the Bryn Mawr Birth Center (which is far from Reading, I know) with dd and really liked them much better. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had itnerviewed with Kate from Rising Moon and had the same first impression, that we didn't really click, and ended up not going with her because of that and for financial reasons-but I have to say I wish I would have paid the extra money and given her more of a chance based on what I have heard about her since.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts