Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're using Christopherus for dd's 1st grade this year, but I can already tell it's not going to click with her on their approach to phonics/reading. DD is a right brained learner, most likely a high functioning aspie(we're in the middle of getting her evaluated now, but this is what the tester is leaning toward).Anybody know of a good reading curriculum, there are so many out there and we haven't even started our search.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just curious why you think Christopherus' approach wouldn't click with a right-brained learner? The arts-based and story-based approach would be especially suited to a right-brained kid, generally speaking.

Did you mean to say that she's NOT a right-brained learner? I'm wondering that because Aspies tend to be more like that, needing highly structured and rule-based approaches.

Something that might suit both types is Progressive Phonics - my daughter's been really enjoying it. It's right-brained in that it has engaging stories and pictures and isn't "drill and kill". It's left-brained in that it proceeds though a sensible sequence of rules and teaches the rules relatively well. The child just reads the big red words in each story while the parent reads the rest, so the stories aren't limited to the simple words learnt so far at any particular level. It's fun that it's cooperative like that. It's also completely free... you just register on the website and you can download and/or view online all their books!

If she's very much on the Aspie side of things and likes detail and repetition, she might enjoy the 100 Easy Lessons book... I forget the precise title but you should be able to find it easily. I love the approach of it, it REALLY breaks things down into MINUTE steps. Many kids are turned off by it, though, because it's so very dry and repetitive. It's quite strictly just exercises and more exercises, without much in the way of stories or 'fun stuff'. But in purely technical terms, it's a great curriculum and would suit a child who's into details like that.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DD tends more toward right brained learning, but she is still sort of in the middle ykwim? She does need lots of repetition, details, and structure, she fits the aspie description almost to a t. The issue is she needs more formal instruction in certain areas, like reading, than Christopherus is giving out.

I'll look into those suggestions, thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.