Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to think that it was a good idea to read to a baby, no matter how young. However, dd2 just wants to eat the pages and gets upset when I won't let her.

Is there any point to reading to a baby until they're past the point of wanting to put everything in their mouths?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Absolutely! When you share books with a baby, you're helping him/her develop a relationship with books. Chewing on books is a ways babies do that. When my dd was little, she wouldn't sit very long and listen to a book, either. I was lucky if I was able to read one word in a sitting! Keep trying and offering books, and let the chewing continue!

Sheri
Reese (12-22-04)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
What about giving her a soft book she can chew while you're reading a regular book? That way it's the best of both worlds-she gets a wonderful story from mama (or daddy) with the added bonus of getting to eat one! But do keep reading!!!

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
You can buy cloth books (or make some!)

Not only is reading to your baby a good thing, but be an example and let her see YOU read. You can read aloud anything too. They love the rythm of your voice no matter the content.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
I read to my infant daughter. Nothing really long though since she gets bored easily at this age. I know I'm laying the foundation for her to be a successful reader on her own. She gets used to handling a book, learns the routine of having a book read to her before bed time. We're a family of readers (points to name) and I want her to have a love of books.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I read to my baby and I have always been a reader to the veyr young. I would day just keep it short and simple. I always hand dd a board book while I read her another book that way if she looses intrest in looking at the pictures she has something she can't destroy to hold.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everyone -- you all have great ideas.

She hears me read out loud often, and daily, because I read a lot to her older sister. i don't read directly to dd2, though, mainly because of the chewing issue.

I will start, though -- thanks for the ideas!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.