Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this goes here! My 7yo attends Montessori but reads alot at home. He just started reading Huckleberry Finn on his own. Sometimes I worry certain books are too much for him. I know when he started reading Frankenstein, he eventually stopped because it was too scary. Should I follow his lead with which books he reads or guide him?<br>
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I think that just by the fact that he stopped reading it on his own, is a sign that maybe you should just step back and watch.<br><br>
It's great that he's so interested in reading!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I let 6 y/o dd select her own books, but I take a look first at any that I think might be too much (in terms of content). Some books then I read to her, so that I can monitor her reaction and skip graphic parts if necessary. Others are OK for her to read.<br><br>
Interestingly, a lot of books that I read to her first, she now reads to herself. She explained to me yesterday that once she knows what happens, it's OK, she likes to read the adventures. It's the suspense that she cannot take! She can also now separate off reality from fantasy, so she likes things like The Odyssey, and doesn't mind the graphic descriptions - even though she's incredibly sensitive IRL. She can also cope with pretty descriptive non-fiction (history is a real passion for her), and again, can process it as being nothing to scare her now.<br><br>
HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts