Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little history first. DS has been in fuzzi buns with hemp inserts from the start. NEVER an issue with anything other than I was using the wrong detergent in the beginning and had a smell, switched to All free and Clear and we've been sailing along for 11 months. Simple routine. Dry pail, cold rinse, hot wash with extra rinse at the end. Line dry/dryer.

Cut to three weeks ago and the rash from he** arrived. I thought it was food sensitivity at first, but realized that as soon as a sposie was put on the bum would begin to clear. As the rash got worse I put him in sposies for a day while I washed the heck out of my dipes thinking it must be a buildup. His little bum cleared right up. No food changes or anything. Day two in sposies while the diapers are still being boiled, washed, beaten, well, you get the point and his bum is perfect and lovely. I finally got the entire stash washed and dried, I know those suckers are clean. A day and a half into wearing them again and his bum is screaming red already! Back in a sposie while I wonder what to do.

I'm only left with the thought that he suddenly can't tolerate the fleece? How likely would that be?

I'm just sick about this as I'm not about to invest in another type of dipe....and hate to go the sposie route, but his little bum is not worth the sacrifice.

My only bright spot is #2 is on the way....maybe we will get 11 months of use of the dipes again.

ANY thoughts??

~Lauri

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
when you stripped them, exactly how did you do it? i just went through the stripping and added NOTHING and it seemed to have worked. i didnt have a rash problem though. not that i know much...this is my 1st in cd's but if you explain in more detail what you did exactly, maybe others can help.
dont know.
sorry he's goign through this though. poor little guy.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
The company could have changed the formulation of thier detergent, which could cause a reaction. Or he could have become sensitized to one of the ingredients over time as well.

Or, his urine could have become more acidic as he's gotten older, and the cloth isn't wicking it away fast enough for him to not react to it - could need a more frequent (like, every single dribble of pee, every single time - my son was like this) changing.

I'm sure there are others with ideas as well.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Our (now 3.5yo) DD couldn't tolerate fleece...but I don't know if one could suddenly develop a fleece sensitivity...
Do you have any other diapers (like 100% organic cotton?) that you could try instead?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Could it be the detergent?
I was reading about detergent choices here,
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

From the website:
Personal Note: Some people use All Free and Clear for their diaper laundry and swear they have had no problems. My understanding is that the problems come long-term and then they are unaware of what could be causing the difficulties. The optical brighteners in All Free and Clear have been noted for causing problems with pocket diapers and causing Bummis diaper covers to leak.

I wonder if there is a buildup and it's causing his rash.
What did you strip the diapers with?

Also we were having red bum problems in the ungodly heat here in CA the other week. She did so much better spending the afternoon with no diaper at the pool.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hate to say it, but if it's buildup on the fleece itself, just washing with the same detergent is going to get you nowhere. I believe the best way to get buildup off of fleece is to scrub them each individually w/ dawn (or other dish detergent that cuts grease) then rinse til clean.

If this fixes it, it was buildup from the All F&C (which is pretty common), you may want to look at getting a new detergent. The previously mentioned site is wonderful for searching for new options!

HTH!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yeah, sadly the detergent companies can/will change formulations without indicating they are doing so. We went through something similar about 4mos ago. I was using Tide HE and we were going great. I brought home a new bottle and an ugly rash for DD. After 6wks of trying everything, I finally broke down and ordered Charlies soap and bye-bye rash.
Good Luck mama!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you've given me some ideas...thank you!!

Perhaps it is time to try Charlies soap. I don't think it's a change in the current detergent formula as I've been working from this big ol jug for some time. I'm willing to switch detergent to see if we can avoid this problem.

I considered heat rash, but I thought that if it were heat rash he would have it in his whole diaper area, not just on the cheeks. Am I mistaken?

I'm inclined to think I need to scrub my FB with Dawn as it is most likely a buildup. Questions regarding this process (or a website that can answer my questions): Do I scrub with a brush or just rub cloth against cloth as if getting out a stain? Do I need to do the same to my inserts? How many washes should I expect to put my dipes through after this Dawn treatment? I shudder to think of our water/energy bill after all the extra washing I've been doing. These cloth dipes are supposed to be SAVING us $$ after all!!

Appreciate the help!

~Lauri

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have noticed that every so often I have to change detergents. I also noticed you only do one final rinse, I do two. I use Tide and if I don't my kids get a flat reddish rash and in extreme cases will get a bumpy rash. Once every so often I use arm and hammer or something cheap for a few washes and back to the Tide, I have no idea why this works!

I'd strip everything separately (fb's and then inserts/washcloths) use Dawn on the fb's and strip the inserts in low water as hot as you can get it. Sometimes I dump a few pots of boiling water in the wash (I only have 3 big pots
)

And I do keep prefolds and covers around. I definitely think sometimes they get "fleeced out" or it's too hot or whatever, and I use the prefolds once in awhile just to take a break. Sometimes I just use a prefold w/o a cover for a few changes. It's been working out well for us *knock wood*

To answer your question, you can use a toothbrush with the dawn, but I just put a bunch of it in the washing machine and then did a bunch of hot rinses. But then I don't think my buildup was as severe as yours.

I hate to tell you but I've had the WORST luck with all free and clear! It does not get anything clean, not even regular clothes, and it left the worst buildup ever on my diapers. My kids weren't getting rashes, but boy, did they stink! I was embarrassed to use the cloth out of the house! It started to smell as soon as the diaper warmed up from their body heat! So as rough as Tide is, and as bad as things can get if you don't rinse it well, I'm sticking with it

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
DD had a yeast infection for that came back for awhile every time we used PUL or fleece. Fitteds/prefolds with no covers/wool cleared it up.

Could it be a recurrent infection of some kind? It can be hard to totally eradicate and doesn't always look like a typical yeast infection. I remember my ped telling my mom years ago about a kid who had terrible recurrent rash and after weeks of trying different things they treated him for yeast and it went away.

·
Registered
551 Posts
When my son was a baby we used fleece lined diapers all the time, and then at around 14 months old he developed the worst allergy to fleece and suedecloth. so strange.
Can you strip them with alittle Dawn and then rinse rinse rinse.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
you didnt say though, whether you used any detergent when you stripped them before? i just did this and didnt go the Dawn route..but i didn't use ANY detergent for the washing..i washed them 7 times in hot.
my normal routine (with Tide) is cold wash, rinse...then hot wash, rinse. all on heavy duty with extra rinse each wash. i think the rinses are the key. but like i said, i stripped a week ago (after 7 months).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.