Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering using having our first child as a way to make a clean exit from my current job/career. But I'm scared that I'm being naive!

I'm planning to stay home with DC for the first year. My thinking was that after 6 months of staying home, I would start looking for a new job (similar skills to my current job but still a career change) and hope to find something in 6 months. If I don't, I have some options (dip into savings, go back to the old job), but we would choose them only if desperate.

So my question to y'all is: Is it realisitic to start a job search/career change effort 6 months after having DC? I'm lucky that DH is very supportive of this career change, and his work schedule is flexible enough that he could take off to come home and be with DC if I had an interview, and he could be with DC while I focus on resume, cover letter, etc. stuff in evenings/on weekends.

But tell me mamas -- am I being naive?
:

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I think it's possible to do. But the question is once you have the baby, will you want to?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I think it's very possible. After all, most mamas (myself included) have to return to work by 12 weeks. It's not ideal, but it happens. Heck, I'm currently working but also have been searching for a new job for the last year. I'm not trying hard, obviously, but I've been prepared to switch jobs immediately if the right opportunity came long.

A couple of things you should consider:

1) What if you don't want to return to work at all?
2) What if you find a job right away?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I did this exact thing with my first. I was in grad school when we were TTC and some time between conceiving and delivering I decided I didn't want to keep doing grad school. At first, it completely threw off our plans because we had this great plan of how things were going to work after the babe was there- I would take so much time off, then go back and DH would adjust his schedule, etc. etc. So I finished my MA only weeks before I delievered, filed it the semester after DD was born and was trying to figure out what would come next. When DD was six months I decided I would start looking for jobs in a particular field related to my subject of study (but not in it). I finally landed a position when she was about 12 months. I work for local government and the hiring process takes a long time
It was a big change and I had to learn the job quickly and being out there in the working world (vs.university life) was just so different. It was fine though, and I think it worked out just fine for us.

In any event, six months is a great window to get to know your babe and get used to life as mama, and figure out where to go to from there. You can totally do it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I think it depends on the industry and how many positions are available. If you start looking at 6 months you could have a job offer in 2 weeks. What would you do? I think perhaps not starting until you're actually ready makes more sense, maybe at 10 months. It could take a few weeks to get through all the interviews and an offer negotiation, then you can ask for a few weeks to start. As a former employer, I would be annoyed if I made an offer then someone asked for a few months to start. But, like I said, it depends on your industry. And perhaps you'll want a few "practice" interviews for jobs you're only mildly interested in to get yourself back in the swing of things.

Also, if you're changing careers, you may use this time to network and socialize within that industry. For example, I'm using this time to volunteer on a few boards and take projects with people who normally couldn't afford me just to stay in the game and keep my options open. I have no intention of going back to work full time for at least 3 years, but I don't want to get stale.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you want to stay home a year, then I'd probably look for a job when the babe is closer to a year. The others bring up a good point about what if you find a job in 2 weeks or 4 weeks. Then what?

Congratulations and good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.