Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually its high blood pressure that is concerning in pregnancy, but what about low blood pressure?

I'm about 24 weeks pregnant right now and for the past month my blood pressure has been drastically declining. This week its been around 84/40 every day, but now I'm also feeling light headed, weak and extremely fatigued. I have my monthly appointment on Thursday, but should I call my doctor tomorrow to ask him about it, or just wait until my appointment?

·
Registered
245 Posts
It depends on what your normal BP is. That's low, but it's normal to have low blood pressure during pregnancy. It also sounds like your iron levels are very low. You should start eating iron rich foods and/or take an iron supplement. I would go ahead and call the doctor's office and let them know (especially if this is drastically lower than your normal BP). But your signs and symptoms are due to the low BP and low iron levels.
Good luck and hope you feel better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. My BP is usually right around 120/80, so this is really low for me. I did read that BP does get lower during pregnancy, which is why I wasn't sure if it was an issue or not. Low iron would make sense too because I've had an aversion to meat. I don't want to be the paranoid pregnant lady, but I will give my doc a call tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
How's your salt intake? My midwives recommended that I increase mine, when my bp at my June appt. was 90/40, which was lower than I'd EVER known it to be for me. My normal non-pg is 100/70 and only about 120/80 pg.

I started increasing my salt intake and, sure enough, my bp went back to normal range for me.

The midwive said that if I feel light-headed to just put a bit of salt on my palm and lick it off...if the feeling passes, then you know you probably need more salt in your diet.

My diet has plenty of protein, btw, just didn't have enough salt...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Mine was low and I had symptoms of it until about 26 weeks. I can finally get out of bed and go to the bathroom without feeling dizzy and about to faint by the time I reach the toilet. I mentioned it to my OB more than once, but he said it was a normal side-effect of pregnancy and that your body just had to adjust to the increased blood volume, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called my doctor's office today and he wasn't working today, but they had me come in for a blood test and they want me to come in to see him tomorrow. I guess it was important enough to call about

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Think about it this way. If your blood pressure stays low, they can red flag you and counsel you AGAINST getting the epidural. (not that it's a bad thing but just warning you)

Low Blood Pressure + Epudral = BAD combo.

If you are planning on getting the epidural, I'd strongly suggest that you learn other coping techniques due to the low BP.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
Think about it this way. If your blood pressure stays low, they can red flag you and counsel you AGAINST getting the epidural. (not that it's a bad thing but just warning you)

Low Blood Pressure + Epudral = BAD combo.

If you are planning on getting the epidural, I'd strongly suggest that you learn other coping techniques due to the low BP.
Ephedrine post-epidural can counteract this quite nicely. You never know who's going to react strongly to an epidural, and all anesthesiologists should have ephedrine (or similar) available.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxmama
Ephedrine post-epidural can counteract this quite nicely. You never know who's going to react strongly to an epidural, and all anesthesiologists should have ephedrine (or similar) available.
True, but really, why risk it right?

If you know you already are hypotensive, why further aggrivate the problem with an epidural if it's not medically warrented and open oneself for more interventions that would NOT have been needed if she didn't get one in the first place KWIM??

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
True, but really, why risk it right?

If you know you already are hypotensive, why further aggrivate the problem with an epidural if it's not medically warrented and open oneself for more interventions that would NOT have been needed if she didn't get one in the first place KWIM??
My point is that you never know who's going to react badly. Actually, hypertensives are often the ones who bottom out (for them), and since their babies are used to the higher pressures end up looking like crap on the strip.

And epidurals are always elective, so I don't really see the potential for needing a dose of ephedrine as the deciding factor when the interventions for an epidural in general are so extensive.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
My BP normally runs lowish (90s/60s), and at last check was 84/56 mm Hg @ 20 wks pregnant. To prevent feeling dizzy or faint, I make sure to eat plenty of salt. I salt my food to taste, and get in salty snacks (pretzels, cheese, etc). Increasing your iron won't boost your BP (I have spoken to a cardiologist about this - salt will help bring your BP up if its low, and there is NO reason to restrict salt for BP reasons unless yours is too high).

GL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.