Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my appointment tomorrow and we will see just how much bm he's getting, but I am getting frustrated and need to know if this is normal.

I have been nursing using the SNS for a week. He's latching great and turning his head right. We're both getting very good. However, he seems hungry when I take him off. This is what happens. I nurse on one side until he falls asleep or it's been 15 min or he's taken an additional ounce from the tube. Then switch. I then continue to nurse until he falls alseep or his suck becomes very weak and playful or until he gums me. When I take him off he SCREAMS. I mean he cries like he's hungry. If I put him back on he may have a few good strong suck but then they turn weak again. If I keep him on and let him eat more than an additional 3 ounces of suppliment then he spits it up. After a few minuites of freaking out he calms down and then he's content for another 2-3 hours. Sometimes he will start to freak out when I think he's almost done, but does'nt want to come off. He cries and sucks, then cries and sucks. I'm not sure if he's getting enough or if he's just wanting the comfort? I will weigh him tomorrow, but he has never done very well at the docs office and I usually walk away discouraged. I'm so afraid he's not getting enough because I'm still pumping out so little at a time (half an ounce in two sessions, between the two sides), it is more than ever but still not that much.

Also, I'm worried he's not going to wean from the SNS when my supply does come in full force. He won't just nurse on me without it anymore. If I turn the flow lower or off he gets very mad. He usually sucks 3 times and then swallows. He will keep eating. Even on a bottle he will eat 6+ ounces and then spits most of it up. I don't really want him to overeat on the breast. Is this something I need to teach him? He has a great suck and the nursing sessions are taking less time (I think I'm going to have to pump a little after), but I can not mess with the flow at all.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
maybe he is just frustrated (as you both have the right to be) with how nursing is going. It can't be easy on him.

What formula are you using? Does he burp like he has reflux?

Maybe he needs to be burped more often.

I am sending you lots and lots of mental support for tomorrow. I hope that it goes well. Let us know how it goes. FTR, I never could pump very much, and even now that we are mostly off the supplements, I can't pump more than an ounce even if he hasent nursed in four hours. And weigh in's always were negative. But, his output shows that he gets enough.

Science still hasent figured out the BF relationship 100%.

Victorian

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, that made me feel so much better.

We had him on Carnation and he spit that up and had the runs. We switched to Similac Advance with lipil and no change. He is now on plain old Enfalac. We started him on this when he first started latching and getting some bm. He has done great on it so far. When he spits up he just opens his mouth and it all dribbles out. It's like he had a silent burp and it came up with the burp. I do burp him alot, but most of the time he spits up an hour or so after he's eaten. It's wierd.

I am watching the "signs" and they seem to be good. His diapers are not as soaked as they were on straight formula, but I'm also not letting him over eat. He has a pee at least once in between feedings, although they are not huge. Every once in a while he'll soak his diaper. I guess if he gains some wieght tomorrow then that will be another sign.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
A couple of things jump to mind. First, It sounds like he has gas. DD1 used to do that. Scream, nurse, scream, etc. And it may also be for comfort. He may also be going through a growth spurt and (regardless of the SNS) is trying to increase supply.

His system is probably a little confused. A nursing baby needs to do some hard work during a growth spurt to make sure there is enough milk. But a bottle fed baby doesn't. With the SNS, he is nursing, so his body is responding by wanting to nurse so he'll have enough, but is also getting plenty of food through the tubes. I wonder if this isn't the source of his frustration. I don't know what the solution to this is, but just trying to brainstorm the problem.

If you don't nurse very well at the doctor's office (totally understandable), maybe you could rent a scale for a couple of days or a week, or month, or whatever, so you can weigh him at home. You would get a more accurate picture of what he is truly taking in, because it will be in the comfort of your own home, and in his normal nursing environment.

Bec

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I am sending you all postive thoughts for the doc visit tommorrow.

DD used to do that too. She would feed and then when I went to take her off she would cry so I would put her back on. It wasn't until she was about 4 months did I realize that it was for comfort and nuzzling.

On days where I knew I had to get up and go after a feeding I would make sure I had on the sling and then she eventually came off the boob on her own.

The thing about the growth spurt is a good point. The babe knows instinctly when to work harder at the breast to stimulate production. They will want to nuzzle more after a feeding and stay at the breast longer.

I wish I knew more about the SNS so I could offer help with that, perhaps there is a lactation consultant you could see for answers to your question.

Good luck tommorrow!

ETA: I wanted to add that when I first started bfing I thought the babe would just come off the boob when they were done feeding. The fact that dd never came off on her own made me think she wasn't getting enough and I felt insecure about that so I would let her suckle away to her hearts desire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts