Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dd, 10 mos. old, has been running a fever all day. It was pretty high, peaking at 103.9 (I think that was the highest, she really hates when I take her temp so I haven't done it as often as I"d like). We gave her some chamomile tea a few hours ago & she's at 102.0, but she's been so sleepy(VERY unusual for this non-stop go-go baby). She'll wake up for a few minutes, play a little and then have a hard time holding her head up and babble herself to sleep. She sleeps for an hour or so & then repeats the cycle.
She's been teething up a storm, #5 & 6 broke through the other day and it looks like 7 & 8 are right there, too.
Our dr. just left his practice and we hadn't found another one...the ER here would be the last thing I'd ever want to do (I've been {mis}treated there myself)m we bought some infant tylenol in case.... but do NOT want to use it.
I guess my question is, COULD this be teething? I've heard they can spike a temp, but never heard they would be so sleepy so I'm worried it might be something else.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I really dont think that is from teething. I know that the one time my dd acted super lethargic and couldnt stay awake at all, I finally took her to the doctor and the dr. was very serious about it and moved her to a room and was going to start an IV right away. When I started protesting she said she would give her a pedialite popsicle and if she perked up she wouldnt start the IV but if she stayed so sleepy like that that she didnt have a choice. I guess that can be a sign of dehydration. But if she is continually getting up to play for a while shes probably ok.

Im not trying to scare you and I for sure am no expert but I just wanted to share that with you should it get that serious.

I really wouldnt use the Tylenol if I were you because of the liver toxicity especially if she might be dehydrated, I would go get some childrens Motrin and give her some, even if just to give her a break from feeling so bad and to see if she will perk up. Fever does make them sleepy like that so if you know shes not dehydrated I wouldnt worry to much. My dd is notorious for super high temps, she never runs 99 or anything mellow like that. Its either 104+ or nothing at all, and if she has a temp she does the same thing you are describing, she gets up to play for 10 minutes them finds her blankey and pillow and naps again for a while pretty much all day long.

Sorry shes feeling so bad!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My ds#2 had roseola at about that age. He had a high temp for a day or two and then as the fever broke, he broke out in a rash on his face, neck, torso. Happened with ds#1 at the same age, come to think of it!

So just a thought that she is using her energy to fight a virus. Both of my kids get sleepy when they aren't well (as a matter of fact, so do I). I'd say that if she shows interest in playing when she wakes up, then don't worry too much (easier said than done).

Is she drinking/nursing lots?

Hope she is well soon!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dh typing:
mama is nursing dd. dd is drinking lots, peeing normal, and not vaccinated. she seems okay (as okay as sick babies get, i guess?), laughs at peek-a-boo, smiles at funny daddy. just tired, warm, and sick. we will try to wait it out - her fever is going back down to 101.7 right now. we'll keep an eye on her. thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
My ds always zonks when he gets a fever.. as a matte of fact, thats usually my first clue that he's got one.. he falls asleep..and will generally sleep until the fever breaks.. then wakes up and is better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.