Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dd, 10 mos. old, has been running a fever all day. It was pretty high, peaking at 103.9 (I think that was the highest, she really hates when I take her temp so I haven't done it as often as I"d like). We gave her some chamomile tea a few hours ago & she's at 102.0, but she's been so sleepy(VERY unusual for this non-stop go-go baby). She'll wake up for a few minutes, play a little and then have a hard time holding her head up and babble herself to sleep. She sleeps for an hour or so & then repeats the cycle.<br>
She's been teething up a storm, #5 & 6 broke through the other day and it looks like 7 & 8 are right there, too.<br>
Our dr. just left his practice and we hadn't found another one...the ER here would be the last thing I'd ever want to do (I've been {mis}treated there myself)m we bought some infant tylenol in case.... but do NOT want to use it.<br>
I guess my question is, COULD this be teething? I've heard they can spike a temp, but never heard they would be so sleepy so I'm worried it might be something else.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I really dont think that is from teething. I know that the one time my dd acted super lethargic and couldnt stay awake at all, I finally took her to the doctor and the dr. was very serious about it and moved her to a room and was going to start an IV right away. When I started protesting she said she would give her a pedialite popsicle and if she perked up she wouldnt start the IV but if she stayed so sleepy like that that she didnt have a choice. I guess that can be a sign of dehydration. But if she is continually getting up to play for a while shes probably ok.<br><br>
Im not trying to scare you and I for sure am no expert but I just wanted to share that with you should it get that serious.<br><br>
I really wouldnt use the Tylenol if I were you because of the liver toxicity especially if she might be dehydrated, I would go get some childrens Motrin and give her some, even if just to give her a break from feeling so bad and to see if she will perk up. Fever does make them sleepy like that so if you know shes not dehydrated I wouldnt worry to much. My dd is notorious for super high temps, she never runs 99 or anything mellow like that. Its either 104+ or nothing at all, and if she has a temp she does the same thing you are describing, she gets up to play for 10 minutes them finds her blankey and pillow and naps again for a while pretty much all day long.<br><br>
Sorry shes feeling so bad!

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Yes, it could be teething. OR - was she vaccinated within the last week?<br><br>
<a href="http://www.mercola.com/2001/oct/31/childhood_diseases.htm" target="_blank"><b>The Reason for Childhood Diseases</b></a><b><br><br><a href="http://www.vaccinationdebate.com/web6.html" target="_blank">The Beneficial Nature of Childhood Infection</a></b>

·
Registered
36 Posts
My ds#2 had roseola at about that age. He had a high temp for a day or two and then as the fever broke, he broke out in a rash on his face, neck, torso. Happened with ds#1 at the same age, come to think of it!<br><br>
So just a thought that she is using her energy to fight a virus. Both of my kids get sleepy when they aren't well (as a matter of fact, so do I). I'd say that if she shows interest in playing when she wakes up, then don't worry too much (easier said than done).<br><br>
Is she drinking/nursing lots?<br><br>
Hope she is well soon!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dh typing:<br>
mama is nursing dd. dd is drinking lots, peeing normal, and not vaccinated. she seems okay (as okay as sick babies get, i guess?), laughs at peek-a-boo, smiles at funny daddy. just tired, warm, and sick. we will try to wait it out - her fever is going back down to 101.7 right now. we'll keep an eye on her. thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
My ds always zonks when he gets a fever.. as a matte of fact, thats usually my first clue that he's got one.. he falls asleep..and will generally sleep until the fever breaks.. then wakes up and is better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts